Kinetic, Potential, and Mechanical Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic, potential, and mechanical energies of a ball thrown vertically upwards with an initial speed of 12.1 m/s. The initial potential energy is taken as zero and the energies are to be calculated at the initial position, 1.75m above the initial position, and at the maximum height. The equations for kinetic and gravitational potential energy are suggested as a starting point and it is noted that the standard equations of motion can also be used.
BreezyHani

Homework Statement

A .420kg ball is throw vertically upward at an intial sped o 12.1 m/s. If the initial potential energy is taken as zero find the bal's kinetic, potential, and mecanical energies a.) at its intial position b.) at 1.75m above the initial position, and c.) at its maximum height

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what formula to use guys :( my brain is hurting from organic chem overload.

Physics news on Phys.org
BreezyHani said:

Homework Statement

A .420kg ball is throw vertically upward at an intial sped o 12.1 m/s. If the initial potential energy is taken as zero find the bal's kinetic, potential, and mecanical energies a.) at its intial position b.) at 1.75m above the initial position, and c.) at its maximum height

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what formula to use guys :( my brain is hurting from organic chem overload.

Expressions for Kinetic energy and Gravitational Potential energy would be a good start.
You may want to use the standard equations of motion, but KE and PE are all you really need.

Kinetc energy I use the: K=1/2mv^2 right? gravitational i use the U=mgy ?

BreezyHani said:
Kinetc energy I use the: K=1/2mv^2 right? gravitational i use the U=mgy ?

Those formulae will work

ok thank you!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, such as gravitational potential energy or chemical potential energy. Unlike kinetic energy, potential energy is not dependent on an object's motion.

3. Can kinetic energy be converted into potential energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. For example, when a roller coaster reaches the top of a hill, its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy, and then back into kinetic energy as it goes down the hill.

4. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energy. It represents the total energy available to do work.

5. How does temperature affect kinetic energy?

Temperature is directly related to the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles also increases.