16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet

• Thread starter notinthebox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piston
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the amount of weight needed to push a 16 inch piston in a water-filled cylinder with a 4 inch outlet pipe and a 40 feet pipe. The equation P=F/A is mentioned, with the speaker requesting clarification on the parameters needed for the calculation. The other participant in the conversation suggests using the equation F_required = P/A and converting units from psi to feet.
notinthebox
If I had a 16 inch piston in a 16 inch by 60 inch cylinder( they fit and are water tight).
It is standing on its end
At the bottem I have a 4 inch outlet pipe with 2- 90's and a pipe going back up 40 feet
How many pounds would I need to put on the 16 inch piston to push the piston all the way down to the bottem and all the water out of the 16 inch pipe.( In 10 to 20 seconds or so)
Both pipes are full to the top when the weight is added.
I only need to know how to find out to do the math but the problem would be good to have done.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First principals:
P=F/A
which of these parameter values do you have?

I gave the area I am looking for the other 2 for the pressure for 40 feet and a time frame

Try and show some solutions or something you worked on, so I can correct or help you!
What is the essential head you want to achieve? You say you only have the area? But there is another parameter which is a must?
F_required = P/A... Do you not think this will get you somewhere?
1 psi = ? feet? Try translating this...

1. What is a 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet?

A 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet is a mechanical device used for converting energy in the form of pressure into mechanical motion. It consists of a large piston with a diameter of 16 inches and a smaller outlet with a diameter of 4 inches.

2. How does a 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet work?

When pressure is applied to the 16 inch piston, it creates a force that pushes the piston downwards. This force is then transmitted through a connecting rod to the smaller outlet, causing it to move and perform a specific task.

3. What are the common uses of a 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet?

A 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet is commonly used in industrial machinery, such as pumps, engines, and compressors. It is also used in hydraulic systems to generate and control power.

4. What are the advantages of using a 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet?

One of the main advantages of using this piston is its ability to generate high amounts of force and power. It is also compact in size, making it suitable for various applications. Additionally, it has a simple design and is relatively easy to maintain.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 16 inch piston with a 4 inch outlet?

One limitation of this type of piston is its limited range of motion, as it can only move in a linear direction. It also requires a constant supply of energy to function properly, which can be a drawback in some applications.