Resistance Wire Cut and Splice - Too Much Current Now

In summary, the conversation is about a person attempting to develop a prototype for a new product that involves using resistive wire to generate heat. The person cannibalized an electric blanket for the wire and power controller, but after cutting and splicing the wire, they are now getting an error from the power controller. They are seeking advice on where they went wrong and how to fix it, considering adding a resistor or using a variable power controller. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of making reliable connections to resistance wire and the potential dangers of working with electricity.
clubgitmo
Hey Guys - Long time reader, first time poster. I am attempting to develop a prototype of a new product. Part of this product will involve a good length of resitive wire that will generate heat. To accomplish this I cannibalized an electric blanket for the resistive wire and power controller. The problem is, I cut and quick spliced the wire and now I am getting an error from the power controller that possibly could be related to too much current flowing.

I assumed the resistance from the wire is related to length. eg, cutting and splicing the wire would not affect total resistance. Apparently I'm wrong as the power controller doesn't like it.

So the question is, where did I go wrong and how can I fix it? I thought about adding a resistor to the loop but I have no idea what the total resistance should be. So, my next thought is a simple adjustable power controller. However, I am short on time and I need to buy most materials locally. Is this an item radio shack could help me with? Any other advice or things I am missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't said what you mean by "cut and splice".

However, it is very difficult to make a reliable connection to resistance wire and this is possibly the cause of your problem. An apparently good looking connection can be high resistance or even open circuit.

Some resistance wire needs silver soldering to make a good connection.

If you don't already have a digital multimeter, you should get one. Adequate meters cost under $20.
With this, you can quickly check if the wire is really presenting the resistance you expect.

Thanks for the reply.

You haven't said what you mean by "cut and splice".

Simple automotive quick splice. Although that doesn't seem to be the issue. The resistor wire provides ~24 ohms of resistance which sounds about right... Would pull ~5amps at 110v. Which brings me back to the question of how to power this for testing. Is there a relatively simple way to build a variable voltage A/C power supply? COTS products seem quite expensive.

clubgitmo said:
Thanks for the reply.
Simple automotive quick splice. Although that doesn't seem to be the issue. The resistor wire provides ~24 ohms of resistance which sounds about right... Would pull ~5amps at 110v. Which brings me back to the question of how to power this for testing. Is there a relatively simple way to build a variable voltage A/C power supply? COTS products seem quite expensive.

Instead of reducing voltage you can simply increase length (and resistance) of the wire. (you'll need another blanket for this :)

If you are using the controller from an old electric blanket, do you know it isn't faulty?

Testing the resistance wire should'nt be necessary if you already know it has a resistance of 24 ohms.

Older electric blankets had a slow switching system where full power was applied for some time then it was removed for another time. The ratio of these times determined how hot the bed got.
You could substitute a 110 volt lamp for the resistance wire to check the controller.
If it was faulty, you may be able to purchase a lamp dimmer as an alternative.

If you have doubts about doing any of this safely, you should seek local advice. 110 volts from the mains or anywhere else can kill you, and that wire will dissipate 500 watts, which could start a fire.
So you need to be careful.

Electric blankets typically dissipate about 60 watts maximum, so if you are using all the wire from such a blanket, it might have been operated at about 40 volts. Power = 40 volts * 40 volts / 24 ohms = 66 watts.

If it was faulty, you may be able to purchase a lamp dimmer as an alternative.

Great idea. Much appreciated. Dimmer switch does exactly what I need.

1. Why is resistance wire cut and splice important?

Resistance wire cut and splice is important because it allows for the proper flow of electrical current in a circuit. Without proper resistance, too much current can flow and cause damage to the circuit or even create a safety hazard.

2. What causes too much current in a resistance wire?

Too much current in a resistance wire is typically caused by a decrease in resistance due to a cut or splice in the wire. This can lead to an increase in the flow of electrical current, which can be dangerous if not properly addressed.

3. How can I determine if there is too much current in a resistance wire?

You can use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the wire and compare it to the expected resistance. If there is a significant difference, it could indicate that there is too much current flowing through the wire.

4. How can I fix too much current in a resistance wire?

The best way to fix too much current in a resistance wire is to locate the cut or splice and repair it. This can be done by soldering the wire back together or using a wire nut to secure the connection. It is important to also check the rest of the circuit for any other potential issues.

5. Can too much current in a resistance wire be dangerous?

Yes, too much current in a resistance wire can be dangerous. It can cause overheating, which can lead to fires, and can also damage the circuit or any connected devices. It is important to address any issues with resistance wire to ensure safety and proper functioning of the circuit.