Ever used Physics knowledge to play a practical joke?

In summary, the conversation was about using physics or engineering knowledge to play pranks on someone. One person shared a story about modifying a circuit to make their mother's lamp blink, and another mentioned the MIT engineering department being famous for pranks. A third person shared a story about installing a digital readout upside down as a prank.
ChromeBit
I'm not sure if I'm going to get any answers here, but I was just wondering... have any of you ever used your physics (or engineering/electrical) knowledge to play some kind of prank on someone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not me, but IIRC the MIT engineering dept. is famous for it.

This was decades ago, so I forget the exact details, but the story goes something like the following.

In high school electronics class we built a simple RC circuit that made a small neon bulb flash. I modified my project so that the circuit triggered a power SCR or triac. I put the whole circuit in a hobbyist box that plugged into the wall, and put an outlet was in one side of the box.

While my mother was out, I plugged her bedside lamp into the box. She came home, turned on her lamp, which immediately started blinking, and said "George! Come quick! My light is going to explode!"

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Not me, but IIRC the MIT engineering dept. is famous for it.

Not me either, but Cambridge UK beats Cambridge Mass :tongue:
http://babylon.acad.cai.cam.ac.uk/college/past/legend/index.php

2619368728_0ddd8bbfa0.jpg

4958884-large.jpg

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I installed a digital readout upside-down. Didn't do it on purpose but after I noticed it, I thought, let it be :devil:.

1. How can you use physics knowledge to play a practical joke?

There are many ways you can use physics in a practical joke. For example, you can use the principles of force and motion to create a homemade catapult to launch objects at unsuspecting victims. Or, you can use the properties of light and reflection to create a prank where objects appear to be floating in mid-air.

2. Is it safe to use physics in a practical joke?

It is important to always consider safety when playing a practical joke. While some physics-based pranks may seem harmless, it is important to make sure that no one is at risk of getting hurt. Always use common sense and caution when performing any kind of practical joke.

3. Can you provide an example of a practical joke using physics?

One example of a practical joke using physics is the classic "water bottle prank" where you poke a small hole in a water bottle and then squeeze it in a way that makes it appear to magically refill itself. This prank uses the properties of air pressure to create the illusion of a never-ending water bottle.

4. What are some other principles of physics that can be used in practical jokes?

Some other principles of physics that can be used in practical jokes include gravity, electricity, and momentum. For example, you can use gravity to create a prank where objects appear to defy gravity by rolling uphill, or use electricity to create a shock prank using a static electricity generator.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when using physics in a practical joke?

As with any practical joke, it is important to consider the feelings and well-being of the person being pranked. It is not ethical to use physics in a prank that could potentially harm or seriously embarrass someone. Always make sure that the practical joke is harmless and that everyone involved can have a good laugh.