Why the conservation energy doesn't work out?

In summary, the conversation discusses three cases where a ball with the same mass is thrown vertically upward, horizontally, and vertically downward. The speaker compared the velocity of the ball when it hits the ground in each case, using both conservation of energy and the equation of linear motion. They found that while the ball's speed is the same in all three cases when using conservation of energy, it is smaller in the second case when using the kinematic equation due to the added horizontal speed. The misunderstanding is resolved when the speaker realizes they need to consider the vector components of the final velocity.
cks
In the
first case, a ball with a mass m is thrown vertically upward,
second case, a ball with the same mass is thrown horizontally,
third case, a ball with the same mass is thrown vertically downward,

Compare the velocity v when the ball hit the ground for the first, second and third case.

If I use conservation of energy to work it, I find that the velocity at the bottom of the ground is the same for each case.

However, if I use equation of linear motion, I find that the second case, the ball hits the ground with a velocity smaller than the first and third case.

What is wrong? I'm totally confused.

Attachments

• Resize of 1.JPG
    Resize of 1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
cks said:
If I use conservation of energy to work it, I find that the velocity at the bottom of the ground is the same for each case.
Right! The speed of the ball as it hits the ground is the same in each case.

However, if I use equation of linear motion, I find that the second case, the ball hits the ground with a velocity smaller than the first and third case.
While the first and third cases only involve vertical motion, the second case also involves horizontal motion. But when you applied the kinematic equation to the second case, you ignored the horizontal speed. That adds an extra [itex]1/2 m u^2[/itex] to the energy.

Thanks, I finally understand what went wrong. Since the final v is a vector, I should add up the velocity of x-component and y-component, it's found to be the same. Thank you again!

1. Why can't we fully conserve energy?

While the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that energy can be lost or dissipated in the form of heat or other forms of energy, making it impossible to fully conserve it.

2. What factors contribute to energy loss?

Energy loss can occur due to various factors such as friction, air resistance, and imperfect conversion processes. These factors can cause some of the energy to be converted into other forms or lost in the surrounding environment.

3. Can we ever achieve 100% energy conservation?

It is highly unlikely that we will ever achieve 100% energy conservation due to the various factors that contribute to energy loss. However, we can strive to minimize energy loss through efficient processes and technologies.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics affect energy conservation?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy or disorder of a closed system always increases over time. This means that even if energy is conserved, it will eventually be dissipated and spread out, making it difficult to be reused or conserved again.

5. What are some solutions to improve energy conservation?

Some solutions to improve energy conservation include using renewable energy sources, implementing energy-efficient technologies, and reducing energy consumption through lifestyle changes. It is also important to continuously research and develop new ways to conserve energy and minimize energy loss.