Solving for the Third Fragment's Speed Using Momentum and Collision Equations

In summary: Okay..i think this problem should be solve by components, but can i have some hints on how to use component methods?Use conservation of momentum...?hm...Okay..i think this problem should be solve by components, but can i have some hints on how to use component methods?Use the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the components of a vector. Use the principle of superposition to combine the components of two vectors to find the vector sum. Combine the components of three vectors to find the vector product.
Neerolyte
A 32.0-kg body is moving in the direction of the positive x-axis with a speed of 215 m/s when, owing to an internal explosion, it breaks into three pieces. One part, whose mass is 7.0 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 310 m/s along the positive y axis. A second fragment, whose mass is 4.5 kg, moves away from the point of explosion with a speed of 370 m/s along the negative x axis. What is the speed of the third fragment? Ignore effects due to gravity.

Can't seem to get this right

M1 = 7.0kg
M2 = 4.5kg
M3 = Mtotal - (M1+M2)

Isn't it simply adding up momentum vector of M1, and momentum vector of M2 then the
resultant will be momentum of M3?

If so, then you get a right angle triangle.

You know momentum of both sides and just by using pythagoras you can find
momentum of M3, then just divided by the mass then you can get the velocity right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neerolyte said:
Can't seem to get this right
M1 = 7.0kg
M2 = 4.5kg
M3 = Mtotal - (M1+M2)
Isn't it simply adding up momentum vector of M1, and momentum vector of M2 then the
resultant will be momentum of M3?
You have to subtract the resultant from the original momentum vector of the bullet to get M3.

ehild

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, could you explain it again thanks

Neerolyte said:
I'm not really sure what you mean by that, could you explain it again thanks

Sorry I did not notice your formula M3 = Mtotal - (M1+M2) before. I wanted to say the same - you should subtract the resultant of M1 and M2 from Mtotal to get M3, and I ment that Mtotal is momentum of the bullet before exploding.

M3 = Mtotal - (M1+M2).

ehild

hm...Okay..i think this problem should be solve by components, but can i have some hints on how to use component methods?

Use conservation of momentum...?

Neerolyte said:
hm...Okay..i think this problem should be solve by components, but can i have some hints on how to use component methods?
The total momentum which is equal to the momentum the bullet had just before the explosion is 32*215i as the piece moves along the positive x axis. The momentum of the 7 kg piece is 7*310j as the piece moves along the positive y axis. The momentum of the 4.5 kg piece is -4.5*370i.
The sum of the x components is the same before and after explosion, and the same holds for the y components.
32*215=M3x-4.5*370
0=M3y+7*310.
Calculate the components of M3. Determine the magnitude and divide by the mass of the third piece to get the speed as you have written down in your first letter.
ehild

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the objects involved in the collision remains constant.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to momentum?

The coefficient of restitution is a value that represents the amount of energy lost in a collision. It is directly related to the change in momentum during the collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means that more of the kinetic energy is conserved, while a lower coefficient means that more energy is lost in the collision.