If CG removed what will happen?

• Thread starter electrous
  • Start date
In summary, the center of gravity is a mathematical point that describes physical properties of a body and cannot be physically removed. It may not even be within the material of the body itself.
electrous
:confused:every body has definite shape and size and also the centre of gravity.so i want to know a certain body have centre of gravity at certain point.
if i remove this portion of body then what will happen to the body? and to the centre of gravity?respectively.
it will be very good for me if you can explain this with help of diagrams.

Thanking you
Electrous

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question. The center of mass is a mathematical point that is useful for describing some physical properties of a body; it's not a physical part of the body. You can't "remove" the center of mass. (Of course, if you remove any portion of the body, you may affect the location of the center of mass of the remaining material.) Often, the center of mass is not even within the material of the body: For example, the center of mass of a hoop (a donut, say) is in empty space.

If the CG (center of gravity) is removed from a body, the body will lose its balance and stability. The CG is the point at which all the weight of an object is evenly distributed, and it is essential for maintaining equilibrium. Removing the CG means that there will be no point to balance the weight of the object, and it will most likely fall or collapse.

This is similar to removing the legs of a table. The legs provide support and balance, and without them, the table would not be able to stand. Similarly, the CG is like the "leg" of an object, and without it, the object cannot maintain its upright position.

As for the center of gravity itself, if it is removed, there will be no specific point where all the weight is concentrated. This means that the CG will no longer exist, and the body will have a new center of gravity, depending on its new shape and distribution of weight.

I have included a diagram to help illustrate this concept. In the first image, the object has a defined center of gravity at point A. In the second image, if a portion of the object is removed, the center of gravity will shift and be located at point B.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of center of gravity and its importance in maintaining balance and stability in objects. Thank you for your question, and please let me know if you require further explanation.

1. What is CG and why is it important?

CG stands for center of gravity. It is the point at which the entire weight of an object is concentrated and the object is balanced. It is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps determine the stability and behavior of objects.

2. How is CG calculated?

CG can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual weights of all the parts of an object. Each part's weight is multiplied by its distance from the reference point, and then divided by the total weight of the object. This calculation can also be done using mathematical equations and computer simulations.

3. What happens if CG is removed?

If CG is removed from an object, the object will lose its balance and stability. It will become unsteady and may topple over. The behavior of the object will also change, as its center of mass will shift to a different location.

4. Can CG be moved or changed?

Yes, CG can be moved or changed by altering the distribution of weight in an object. For example, if more weight is added to one side of an object, the CG will shift towards that side. This is why weight distribution is important in designing stable structures and vehicles.

5. How does CG affect different objects?

CG affects different objects differently depending on their shape, weight distribution, and other factors. For example, a tall narrow object will have a higher CG and be more likely to tip over compared to a short wide object. The location of the CG also determines the stability of an object.