Solution to diffusion equation - different input

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the diffusion equation to represent the concentration of a substance at a point away from its source. The equation is typically used for an initial injection, but the person is looking for a solution that can account for a continuous injection at varying rates. There is some confusion about the use of an advective term in the equation and the need for a function to represent the source of the substance. It is suggested to consult with electrochemists who work with similar problems and to use numerical methods to solve the equation. There is also a quote from Galileo Galilei about the importance of using our senses, reason, and intelligence to understand the world.
Dave007
Hi,

I have seen the solution to the diffusion equation written as C=(N/sqrt(4PiDt))exp(-x^2/4Dt). Hoever, as I understand it, this is for an instant input of N material. I want to express the concentration of substance at a point x away from the source for an arbitrary input signal. Is there any nice way to do this please?

Thanks,
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution you give can be translated by replacing x with x-a to give a distribution centered around x=a. You can also superpose many solutions since the diffusion equation is linear.

Thanks jambaugh.

I've actually modified the equation to include an advective part by making x = (x+vt). However, what I want to do is change N to be a function of time. This may require a different equation because as soon as I do that, it doesn't satisfy the diffusion equation anymore I don't think. But I am a bit confused by it all.

Essentially what I want is this:
I have an ion transient through channels in a cell and I want to represent that transient at a point 'x' away from those channels. I thought the diffusion (advective-diffusion) equation is perfect. However, the solution I found is only valid for an initial injection of substance. I want to continually be injecting substance at a varying rate. Is there any solution you know of that would enable me to do this?

Thanks!

Dave007 said:
Thanks jambaugh.

I've actually modified the equation to include an advective part by making x = (x+vt). However, what I want to do is change N to be a function of time. This may require a different equation because as soon as I do that, it doesn't satisfy the diffusion equation anymore I don't think. But I am a bit confused by it all.

Essentially what I want is this:
I have an ion transient through channels in a cell and I want to represent that transient at a point 'x' away from those channels. I thought the diffusion (advective-diffusion) equation is perfect. However, the solution I found is only valid for an initial injection of substance. I want to continually be injecting substance at a varying rate. Is there any solution you know of that would enable me to do this?

Thanks!

Introducing (uniform constant velocity) advection should be equivalent to choosing a moving coordinate system. This will alter the differential equation but it is an equivalent problem in that the solutions to the regular diffusion equation, once the velocity transform is applied, will be solutions to the advective diffusion equation.

If your velocity is a function of position and/or time then things are going to get nasty and I'm not sure there are simple methods. You may need to execute a Finite Elements Model to numerically solve the equation. Look around the web for numerical packages which may work.

As far as continuously adding substance you are now talking about an inhomogeneous diffusion equation:
du/dt = D d^2u/dx^2 + f(x,t)

where u(x,t) be the concentration of substance at a given time and position and f is the source term.

There's much literature on solving the diffusion (heat) equation and a great deal of it is online. Look into the Green's function approach and/or solutions via Fourier transforms.

As far as I can see, though, the solutions all depend on knowing what f(x,t) is. In my case, I can't express it as a function. Is there any easy way to solve this?

Thanks for all your help!

You may want to consult electrochemist working with voltammetric methods. They deal with similar problems all the time. IMHO simple answer to the question

Dave007 said:
Is there any easy way to solve this?

is NO.

Any electrochemist who works with voltammetric methods in the house?

PLEASE?

Dave007 said:
Thanks jambaugh.

... I thought the diffusion (advective-diffusion) equation is perfect. However, the solution I found is only valid for an initial injection of substance. I want to continually be injecting substance at a varying rate. Is there any solution you know of that would enable me to do this?

Thanks!

Postulates of the heat/diffusion equation are only approximations to the physical situation. But they are good approximations. This is what I have recently learned.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308414

jambaugh said:
I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them. -Galileo Galilei

Why should he abandon. Only through reason and observation that we know he exist!

Would you explain how can you present f(x,t)?
Dave007 said:
As far as I can see, though, the solutions all depend on knowing what f(x,t) is. In my case, I can't express it as a function. Is there any easy way to solve this?

Thanks for all your help!

1. What is the diffusion equation and what does it describe?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical equation that describes the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is commonly used to model diffusion processes in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. How is the diffusion equation solved for different input functions?

The diffusion equation can be solved using different methods depending on the type of input function. Some common techniques include separation of variables, Fourier transform, and Green's function method.

3. What are some real-life applications of the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation has numerous real-life applications, including the dispersion of pollutants in the environment, the spread of diseases in populations, and the diffusion of chemicals in cells and tissues during biological processes.

4. Can the diffusion equation be solved analytically for all input functions?

No, the diffusion equation cannot always be solved analytically for all types of input functions. In some cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

5. How does the diffusion coefficient affect the solution to the diffusion equation?

The diffusion coefficient is a measure of how easily particles can move through a medium. It affects the rate of diffusion and the shape of the concentration profile over time. A higher diffusion coefficient leads to a faster diffusion process, while a lower diffusion coefficient results in a slower process.