Chain rule and partial derivatives

In summary, the problem involves finding g'(0) for the given function g(t) in terms of f(x,y,z) and using the chain rule to evaluate it at t = 0. This involves finding the partial derivatives fx, fy, and fz at the point (1, 0, 1) and then plugging in the values of x'(0), y'(0), and z'(0) into the chain rule equation.
nhartung

Homework Statement

Suppose the differentiable function f(x,y,z) has the partial derivatives fx(1,0,1) = 4, fy(1,0,1) = 1 and fz(1,0,1) = 0. Find g'(0) if g(t) = f(t2 + 1, t2-t, t+1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm given the solution for this and I'm trying to work through it but I'm confused.

I understand we have g(t) = f(x(t),y(t),z(t)) where x = t2+1; y = t2-t; z = t+1.

So i thought I would just use the chain rule to find g'(t) and plug in 0 for t. But I check the solutions sheet and he uses a very different (easier) method that I don't understand. ( I just realized that we aren't given a function f in terms of x y or z so that's why this wouldn't work and we need another method. Still I don't understand this other method.)

First he says when t=0 (x,y,z)|t=0 = (1,0,0) (I think he may have made a mistake, shouldn't it be (1,0,1) ?) And then he gets a point P = (1,-1,0) No idea were this point comes from...

Next he sets up the chain rule equation: [tex]\frac{dg}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

Now I think he somehow uses that point and the partial derivatives given above to solve the equation and he gets: = 1*0 + 1*(-1) + (0*1) = -1 (depending on whether P was correct above may change the answer here I think)

So could someone please explain the method used here?

Physics news on Phys.org
nhartung said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the differentiable function f(x,y,z) has the partial derivatives fx(1,0,1) = 4, fy(1,0,1) = 1 and fz(1,0,1) = 0. Find g'(0) if g(t) = f(t2 + 1, t2-t, t+1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm given the solution for this and I'm trying to work through it but I'm confused.

I understand we have g(t) = f(x(t),y(t),z(t)) where x = t2+1; y = t2-t; z = t+1.

So i thought I would just use the chain rule to find g'(t) and plug in 0 for t. But I check the solutions sheet and he uses a very different (easier) method that I don't understand. ( I just realized that we aren't given a function f in terms of x y or z so that's why this wouldn't work and we need another method. Still I don't understand this other method.)

First he says when t=0 (x,y,z)|t=0 = (1,0,0) (I think he may have made a mistake, shouldn't it be (1,0,1) ?) And then he gets a point P = (1,-1,0) No idea were this point comes from...

Next he sets up the chain rule equation: [tex]\frac{dg}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]
Another way to write this is g'(t) = fx * x'(t) + fy * y'(t) + fz * z'(t), and what you want is g'(0). When t = 0, what are x(0), y(0), and z(0)? You need to evaluate all three partial deriviatives at the point (x, y, z) for which t = 0, and you need to evaluate all three ordinary derivatives at t = 0.
nhartung said:
Now I think he somehow uses that point and the partial derivatives given above to solve the equation and he gets: = 1*0 + 1*(-1) + (0*1) = -1 (depending on whether P was correct above may change the answer here I think)

So could someone please explain the method used here?

Mark44 said:
Another way to write this is g'(t) = fx * x'(t) + fy * y'(t) + fz * z'(t), and what you want is g'(0). When t = 0, what are x(0), y(0), and z(0)? You need to evaluate all three partial deriviatives at the point (x, y, z) for which t = 0, and you need to evaluate all three ordinary derivatives at t = 0.

Ah, so then x'(0) = 2t = 2(0) = 0
y'(0) = 2t -1 = -1
z'(0) = 1

Now I understand where those come from but I'm still not sure what you mean by "You need to evaluate all three partial derivatives at the point (x, y, z) for which t = 0".

nhartung said:
y'(0) = 2t -1 = -1
z'(0) = 1
Not quite. You are confusing the derivatives of x(t), y(t), and z(t) with the value of each derivative at a specific value of t. IOW, x'(t) = 2t, but x'(0) = 0, and similarly for y'(t) vs. y'(0) and z'(t) vs. z'(0). In each case, the deriviative is a function, while the derivative evaluated at a particular value of t is just a number. x'(t) is different from x'(0), y'(t) is different from y'(0), and z'(t) is different from z'(0).

The same difference exists between g'(t) and g'(0). Using the chain rule you can write g'(t) = fx(x,y,z) * x'(t) + fy(x,y,z) * y'(t) + fz(x,y,z) * z'(t). Since you aren't given any details about f(x, y, z), it's not possible to calculate the functions fx(x, y, z), fy(x, y, z), and fz(x, y, z). You are, however given the values of these partials at a particular point (1, 0, 1) that corresponds to t = 0.

So g'(0) = fx(1,0,1) * x'(0) + fy(1,0,1) * y'(0) + fz(1,0,1) * z'(0). The only reason I have used the subscript notation (as opposed to the Leibniz notation you used) for the partial derivatives is that it's a little easier to explicitly show that they are to be evaluated at a particular point.
nhartung said:
Now I understand where those come from but I'm still not sure what you mean by "You need to evaluate all three partial derivatives at the point (x, y, z) for which t = 0".

Mark44 said:
Not quite. You are confusing the derivatives of x(t), y(t), and z(t) with the value of each derivative at a specific value of t. IOW, x'(t) = 2t, but x'(0) = 0, and similarly for y'(t) vs. y'(0) and z'(t) vs. z'(0). In each case, the deriviative is a function, while the derivative evaluated at a particular value of t is just a number. x'(t) is different from x'(0), y'(t) is different from y'(0), and z'(t) is different from z'(0).

Isn't this what I did? I think I may have messed up my notation a bit but I have x'(t) = 2t then x'(0) = 0; y'(t) = 2t-1 then y'(0) = -1; z'(t) = 1 then z'(0) = 1;

Mark44 said:
The same difference exists between g'(t) and g'(0). Using the chain rule you can write g'(t) = fx(x,y,z) * x'(t) + fy(x,y,z) * y'(t) + fz(x,y,z) * z'(t). Since you aren't given any details about f(x, y, z), it's not possible to calculate the functions fx(x, y, z), fy(x, y, z), and fz(x, y, z). You are, however given the values of these partials at a particular point (1, 0, 1) that corresponds to t = 0.

So here since the point (1,0,1) corresponds to g(t) when t is 0 we can use the value of the partial at (1,0,1) as the value of fx(x,y,z)? Which would mean at (1,0,1) fx = 4; fy = 1; fz = 0.

Mark44 said:
g'(0) = fx(1,0,1) * x'(0) + fy(1,0,1) * y'(0) + fz(1,0,1) * z'(0). The only reason I have used the subscript notation (as opposed to the Leibniz notation you used) for the partial derivatives is that it's a little easier to explicitly show that they are to be evaluated at a particular point.

So if everything above is correct that gives me: 4*0 + 1*(-1) + 0*1 = -1.

Also, does that mean (if this is all correct) this method can only be used if the point the partials are evaluated at and the value of t are directly related as in this example, correct?

nhartung said:
Isn't this what I did? I think I may have messed up my notation a bit but I have x'(t) = 2t then x'(0) = 0; y'(t) = 2t-1 then y'(0) = -1; z'(t) = 1 then z'(0) = 1;
It's not really "messing up the notation a bit." You wrote some things that just plain aren't true. Here's what you wrote that I commented on.
nhartung said:
y'(0) = 2t -1 = -1
x'(0) [itex]\neq[/itex] 2t [itex]\neq[/itex] 0 and
y'(0) [itex]\neq[/itex] 2t - 1 [itex]\neq[/itex] -1

Since you apparently didn't understand the difference between a function of t and the value of a function at a specific number, I assumed that was the reason you were having such difficulties understanding that you needed to evaluated the partial derivatives at the point corresponding to t = 0, namely (1, 0, 1).
nhartung said:
So here since the point (1,0,1) corresponds to g(t) when t is 0 we can use the value of the partial at (1,0,1) as the value of fx(x,y,z)? Which would mean at (1,0,1) fx = 4; fy = 1; fz = 0.
A less roundabout way to say "g(t) when t is 0" is g(0).
Here are the relationships.
x(t) = t2 + 1
y(t) = t2 - t
z(t) = t + 1

and
x(0) = 1
y(0) = 0
z(0) = 1

We don't know the formulas of any of the three partials, so for example, we can't evaluate fx(x, y, z) at an arbitrary value of t - which determines the values of x, y, and z, but we are given fx(1, 0, 1) as being 4.
Similarly, we don't know fy(x, y, z) or fz(x, y, z), but we're given the values of these partials when t = 0, which means we know the value of each partial evaluated at (1, 0, 1).
nhartung said:
So if everything above is correct that gives me: 4*0 + 1*(-1) + 0*1 = -1.
Yes, but you should write this in context. This is g'(0) = -1.
nhartung said:
Also, does that mean (if this is all correct) this method can only be used if the point the partials are evaluated at and the value of t are directly related as in this example, correct?
Correct. If we didn't have the information about the values of the partials for t = 0 (i.e., at (1, 0, 1)), we wouldn't be able to answer the question.

Ok. My professor made several errors in his work on the solutions sheet which made this even more confusing for me. Thanks a lot for your help.

Sure, you're welcome. I'm hopeful that this is less confusing for you now.

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions nested inside each other. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it is a fundamental tool in calculus, especially in the field of multivariable calculus. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change in complex functions, which are common in many scientific and engineering applications.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to first identify the inner and outer functions in the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function with respect to its variable, leaving the inner function unchanged. Next, take the derivative of the inner function with respect to its variable. Finally, multiply these two derivatives together to get the final result.

4. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a generalization of the concept of derivatives to functions of multiple variables. They represent the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. In other words, they show how much the function changes when only one of its variables changes.

5. How are partial derivatives related to the chain rule?

The chain rule is used to find the partial derivatives of composite functions. When a function has more than one variable, we need to take partial derivatives with respect to each variable separately. The chain rule allows us to do this by treating each variable as if it were the only variable in the function, while holding all other variables constant.