Form Factors of Elementry Particles

In summary, form factors of elementary particles are mathematical quantities used to describe their interactions through the strong nuclear force. They are measured through scattering experiments and are related to the size of particles through momentum transfer. Form factors can change over time and contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model by providing crucial information about particle interactions and helping to refine our understanding of fundamental forces.
chis
Hi, Can anyone provide a list or source where I can easily get the Form factor figures for as many particles as I can? In Femtometers if poss.

Thanks
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if they provide data regarding form factors, but I would suggets to try the
Particle Data Group ... http://pdg.lbl.gov/

1. What are form factors of elementary particles?

Form factors of elementary particles are mathematical quantities that describe how these particles interact with each other through the strong nuclear force. They are used to calculate the scattering amplitudes in high-energy experiments.

2. How are form factors measured in experiments?

Form factors are measured in experiments using scattering experiments, where high-energy particles are directed at a target containing the elementary particles. The resulting scattering pattern can then be used to determine the form factors.

3. How do form factors relate to the size of elementary particles?

Form factors are related to the size of elementary particles through their dependence on the momentum transfer of the scattering particles. The larger the momentum transfer, the more detailed information about the size and structure of the elementary particle can be obtained.

4. Can form factors change over time?

Yes, form factors can change over time as our understanding of the underlying physics evolves. New experimental data can also lead to updates in the values of form factors.

5. How do form factors contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

Form factors play a crucial role in our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics. They provide important information about the interactions between elementary particles and help us test and refine our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.