(for all x, Px) implies (there exists some x, Px)?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the logical statement \forall x P(x) \Rightarrow \exists x P(x) and its proof. The conversation also touches on the definitions of quantifiers and the concept of an empty universe in logic. The conclusion is that the statement is only valid for universes of discourse that contain at least one element.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I'm browsing around waiting for my books to arrive, and I came across http://people.cornell.edu/pages/ps92/414/LogicalOpLogicQuantifiers.pdf (PDF) site that says [tex]\forall x P(x) \Rightarrow \exists x P(x)[/tex]. They don't define [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex], but I imagine it bears the same relation to [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] as [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] bears to [tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex]. Anyway, how would you prove [tex]\forall x P(x) \Rightarrow \exists x P(x)[/tex]?
[tex][\forall x P(x) \rightarrow \exists x P(x)] \Leftrightarrow [(\neg \forall x P(x))\ \vee \ \exists x P(x)] \Leftrightarrow [\exists x \neg P(x)\ \vee\ \exists x P(x)][/tex] right? I don't know any more rules to apply to evaluate that nor how to construct a truth table for propositions with quantifiers. I need to show that [tex]\exists x \neg P(x)[/tex] and [tex]\exists x P(x)[/tex] cannot both be false (at once), but I'm stumped.

Does it have something to do with how they define the quantifiers? They define [tex]\forall x P(x)[/tex] as [tex][P(x_1) \wedge P(x_2) \wedge ... \wedge P(x_n)]\ \mbox{where} \ [x_1, x_2, ..., x_n][/tex] are (exhaustively) the members of x. [tex]\exists x P(x)[/tex] is defined the in same way but as a disjunction.
I suspect I'll be kicking myself about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of the technicalities involved... this implication is true iff [itex]\exists x[/itex] is.

the statement (for all x, P(x)) does not imply the statement (for some x, P(x)).

i.e. there might not be any x's. if there do exist some x's, then the implication is true.

thius is hurkyl's point.

So if I'm interpreting [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] correctly, they're wrong. I'm interpreting [tex]\forall x P(x) \Rightarrow \exists x P(x)[/tex] to mean that [tex]\forall x P(x) \rightarrow \exists x P(x)[/tex] (material implication) is a tautology. I'm interpreting it this way because that's what logical equivalence ([itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]) means for bi-implication or the biconditional ([itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex]).

Edit: If you assume [tex][\mbox{(x is empty)} \rightarrow \forall x (Px)][/tex], what happens to universal instantiation? (UI: for all x, (Px), therefore, (Pc), where c is some arbitrary element of the universe (which is assumed to be empty).)

Last edited:
Well, that the same language can speak meaningfully about both empty and non-empty universes is very interesting to me (What does that say about the language?). But I guess I should take this to the philosophy>logic forum.

Well Grasshopper, [tex] \forall x P(x) \Leftrightarrow \neg \exists x \neg P(x) [/tex]

Which is why you can't prove it.

To prove it, something must first exist in the universe of discourse, call it "a"

[tex] a\ exists \bigwedge \forall x P(x) \Rightarrow \exists x ¬P(x) [/tex]

is provable.

Your proposition is invalid for all models based on the empty set.

Or, in other words, your proposition is valid for all universes of discourse except the one universe in which nothing exists.

Logic is spooky...

Last edited:
x is empty meaning x is the empty set, a specifically defined set that exists axiomatically in ZF.

This is not the same as the statement "x does not exist", i.e. that something, call it "x", specifically does not exist in the universe of discourse.

For example "the empty set does not exist" is a contradiction in ZF, since by axiom, it does exist in the universe of discourse for ZF.

Prove the empty set exists in ZF:

1) suppose the empty set doesn't exist (Prove a contradiction)
2) But the empty set does exist (axiom of ZF)
3) the empty set exists and the empty set doesn't exist (contradiction, Q.E.D.)

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of the statement "(for all x, Px) implies (there exists some x, Px)?"

The statement "(for all x, Px) implies (there exists some x, Px)" is a logical implication that states that if a property (Px) holds for all members of a set, then there must exist at least one member of that set for which the property holds.

2. Can you give an example of a statement that follows this logic?

One example of a statement that follows this logic is: "For all integers x, x is an even number implies there exists an integer y such that x = 2y." This statement means that if every integer is an even number, then there must exist an integer that can be divided by 2 to get the other integer.

3. How is this statement different from the converse statement?

The converse statement of "(for all x, Px) implies (there exists some x, Px)" would be "(there exists some x, Px) implies (for all x, Px)". The main difference is that the original statement implies that if the property holds for all members, then there must exist at least one member for which it holds, while the converse statement implies that if at least one member has the property, then it must hold for all members.

4. Are there any exceptions to this logic?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this logic. One exception is when the set is empty, meaning there are no members. In this case, the statement "(for all x, Px) implies (there exists some x, Px)" would be vacuously true, as there are no members to test the property on. Another exception is when the property is not well-defined for all members of the set, in which case the statement would not hold.

5. How is this statement used in mathematics and science?

This statement is commonly used in mathematics and science to prove the existence of something. For example, in mathematics, it is used to prove the existence of solutions to equations, while in science, it can be used to prove the existence of certain particles or phenomena. It is also used to establish relationships between different properties or variables in a system.