How to masters/PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering and is interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics. They are wondering about the requirements for applying to a masters program in physics and if their engineering background will be an issue. They have been advised to apply directly to the masters program and take senior level physics courses if accepted provisionally. They are also considering applying for an applied or experimental physics program and taking electives in theoretical physics. They are seeking information about online graduate programs in theoretical physics or quantum mechanics.
fahim_naruto
I am a graduate student studying in an engineering university in Electrical and electronic engineering for Bsc degree. After graduation I want to study/research in theoretical Physics(Postgraduate /masters/PhD).
What should be my way ?
I m very interested in Physics from school level and have a fairly good knowledge over classical physics , optics, group theory , linear algebra ,special relativity ,electrodynamics , thermodynamics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would apply directly to the masters program in physics. They may accept you provisionally pending completion of some senior level physics courses.

edgepflow said:
I would apply directly to the masters program in physics. They may accept you provisionally pending completion of some senior level physics courses.
What are the requirements for applying in masters program ? Though I am studying engineering I want to be a theoretical physicist and I study physics by myself .
I have an engineering background and not in theoretical Physics directly will it make any problem?

From what I read on the forums, it's hard to go to a theoretical physics group for physicist, let alone for engineer.

I am an EE too, and I want to pursue a degree in physics, but something related to
quantum computing, which (I think) needs a little physics than does theoretical physics.

I believe the same applies for experimental programs.

The idea is that you well need a lot of math and pure physics to get the minimum
understanding of topics like strings theory / quantum gravity / standard model.

So if I were you, I would apply for an applied / experimental physics program, and
there you could take your electives in theoretical physics (you will need the consent
of your adviser, though).

Further to the above, does anyone know of good-quality online graduate programs in theoretical physics,quantum mechanics,or similar?

1. What is the difference between a Masters and PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

A Masters in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer typically involves coursework and a research project, while a PhD requires more extensive research and a dissertation. A PhD also typically takes longer to complete and allows for more specialization.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Masters or PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

The specific requirements may vary by institution, but generally, applicants will need a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require GRE scores and a personal statement.

3. Can I pursue a Masters or PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer without an undergraduate degree in physics?

It is possible, but it may require additional coursework to make up for any gaps in knowledge. Many programs also consider applicants with a strong background in engineering or a related field.

4. What types of research opportunities are available for students pursuing a Masters or PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

There are a wide range of research areas that students can explore, including quantum electronics, electromagnetism, and solid state physics. Many programs also offer opportunities for interdisciplinary research in areas such as renewable energy and nanotechnology.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Masters or PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

Graduates of these programs can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy. They may also choose to continue their research in academia or government labs.