A simple problem in contour integration

In summary, the conversation is about a person preparing for a complex analysis course and seeking help with a contour integration problem. They are trying to find a function that will yield a constant for a specific value of x and zero for all other values, and are considering using a transform to extract a certain arithmetic function. They later mention finding a solution using Perron's formula.
zoorna
greetings . this is my first post here . i am preparing myself for a complex analysis course that i will be taking next semester . i came across this problem , which is probably a very simple one , but i don't know how to go about it , so bare with me:biggrin:

we have the contour integration
[tex] I(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{\sigma-iT}^{\sigma+iT}\left(\frac{x}{n}\right)^{s}ds[/tex]

where [itex] \Re(s) ,\sigma > 1[/itex]

x is a variable , and n is a constant .

i need the integration to yield a constant if [itex] x=n [/itex], and zero otherwise ??

my guess is that the function [itex] \frac{x}{n} [/itex] should be somehow modified to yield the desired result - constant for x=n , zero other wise - . or is it the contour that should be changed ??

your help is appreciated .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i'll try to make the question a bit clearer . we have the dirichlet series :

[tex]I(s)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\alpha(n)}{n^{s}} , \Re(s)>1[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha(n) [/itex] is some arithmetic function of n .

now i am trying to use mellin transform, or any kind of transform akin to that of fourier's, to extract [itex] \alpha(n)[/itex] . i was hoping for a kernel - function of s - that is orthogonal to all terms except for the one containing the integer i want to extract [itex] \alpha(n)[/itex] for . meaning , i am trying to find a function [itex] f(x,s) [/itex] such that :

[tex]
< f(x,s),n^{-s}>=\left\{\begin{matrix}
k & , & x=n & \\
0 & , & o.w &
\end{matrix}\right.
[/tex]

k is a constant

i hope this makes it clearer .

Last edited:
i think i found it . using Perron's formula :

[tex] \alpha(n)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{2-i\infty}^{2+i\infty}I(s)\frac{\left(n+1/2\right)^{s}-\left(n-1/2 \right )^{s}}{s}ds[/tex]

What is "A simple problem in contour integration"?

"A simple problem in contour integration" refers to a mathematical concept that involves calculating the value of an integral around a closed curve or contour in a complex plane.

What is the purpose of studying contour integration?

The main purpose of studying contour integration is to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved using traditional real-valued integration techniques. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.

What are some applications of contour integration?

Some applications of contour integration include calculating the value of complex integrals, computing residues and poles of functions, and solving differential equations.

What are some challenges associated with contour integration?

One of the main challenges of contour integration is choosing the appropriate contour for a given problem. It also requires a strong understanding of complex analysis and the properties of complex functions.

How can one improve their skills in contour integration?

To improve skills in contour integration, one can practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize themselves with different contour shapes and their corresponding integrals. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of complex analysis and its applications.