What are the cyclic subgroups in Z6 x Z3?

• Thread starter scharl4
  • Start date
In summary: They are: (0,0), (0,1), (0,2), (1,0), (1,1), (1,2), (2,0), (2,1), (2,2), (3,0), (3,1), (3,2), (4,0), (4,1), (4,2), (5,0), (5,1), (5,2)In summary, the task is to find all cyclic subgroups of the direct product group Z6 x Z3. A group is cyclic if it is generated by a single element. After finding and generating subgroups for each element in Z6 x Z3, it is determined that
scharl4

Homework Statement

Find all cyclic subgroups of Z6 x Z3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to find a cyclic subgroup of a simpler group such as Z4, but having trouble understanding what subgroups look like in a direct product of integer spaces, let alone cyclic subgroups. Also, having trouble understanding what makes a direct product subgroup cyclic. Is it cyclic when (a1, a2)^n = (e1, e2)? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
scharl4 said:

Homework Statement

Find all cyclic subgroups of Z6 x Z3...

...Also, having trouble understanding what makes a direct product subgroup cyclic. Is it cyclic when (a1, a2)^n = (e1, e2)? Please help!

A group is cyclic if it is generated by a single element. So find subgroup generated by each element (some elements might generate the same subgroup).

Direct product of two groups [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex], is the group [itex]G\times H = \{ (g,h) | g \in G, h \in H \}[/itex].

If [itex]*[/itex] is the operation of G and H, [itex](g,h)*(g_1,h_1) = (g*g_1,h*h_1)[/itex]. Similarly the inverse [itex](g,h)^{-1} = (g^{-1},h^{-1})[/itex].

Now can you find any element [itex](g,h) \in \mathbb{Z}_6\times \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] such that each element in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_6\times \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] can be represented in the form [itex](g^n,h^n)[/itex]?

Last edited:
Likes 6yasmin6
Ok so I think I found all the subgroups generated by each element of Z6 x Z3. It looks like (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1), (3,0), (3,1), (4,0), (4,1), (5,0), (5,1) each generate only themselves, while each of the other elements of Z6 x Z3 only generate 2 elements. So, it appears that there are no cyclic subgroups, unless i computed the subgroups incorrectly.

scharl4 said:
Ok so I think I found all the subgroups generated by each element of Z6 x Z3. It looks like (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1), (3,0), (3,1), (4,0), (4,1), (5,0), (5,1) each generate only themselves, while each of the other elements of Z6 x Z3 only generate 2 elements. So, it appears that there are no cyclic subgroups, unless i computed the subgroups incorrectly.

If your notation includes zero, you must be using the additive notation. When you say (0,1) only generates itself, do you mean it generates a subgroup of one element? There's two things wrong with that.

One is, every group, and subgroup, must contain the identity by definition. Under your implicit choice of addition as the operation, the identity is (0,0).

The second problem is, 5 is relatively prime to 6, so for instance 5+...+5=5*5=25=1+24=1 mod 6. So (5,0) generates the same group (1,0) does.

Perhaps you do not know what it means for an element to generate a subgroup. Under addition, all multiples, under multiplication, all powers (a sometimes tricky distinction).

Please be more careful, and propose different groups.

OK thanks. I got a little confused because the other post said I should generate by using (a^n, b^n). I think I have my subgroups correct now.

1. What is Z6 x Z3?

Z6 x Z3 is the set of all possible combinations of elements from two sets: Z6 and Z3. Z6 is the set of integers {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5} and Z3 is the set of integers {0, 1, 2}. Therefore, Z6 x Z3 contains 6 x 3 = 18 elements.

2. How is Z6 x Z3 represented visually?

Z6 x Z3 can be represented as a grid with 6 rows and 3 columns. The elements in the grid are ordered pairs, with the first element from Z6 and the second element from Z3. For example, (0,0), (0,1), (0,2), (1,0), (1,1), (1,2), ..., (5,0), (5,1), (5,2) are all the elements in Z6 x Z3.

3. What is the cardinality of Z6 x Z3?

The cardinality of Z6 x Z3 is 18, which means it contains 18 elements.

4. How does Z6 x Z3 differ from Z3 x Z6?

Z6 x Z3 and Z3 x Z6 are different sets. Z6 x Z3 contains ordered pairs where the first element is from Z6 and the second element is from Z3, while Z3 x Z6 contains ordered pairs where the first element is from Z3 and the second element is from Z6. Therefore, the elements in each set are different.

5. Can Z6 x Z3 be simplified?

No, Z6 x Z3 cannot be simplified further as it is the most basic form of the Cartesian product of two sets. However, it can be represented in different ways such as a grid, a list of ordered pairs, or a set notation.