Newtonian vs Einsteinian gravity in everday life?

In summary, Einstein's theory showed that Newton's theory of gravitation was not correct, but that does not mean that gravity does not exist. Newton's theory is a good approximation for gravity on smaller scales, but Einstein's formulation is more accurate on larger scales.
Fredster1765
Let me begin by saying I'm not a student of any kind of physics, I just have a general curiosity about the forces at work in the universe, so for most of the people reading this, my question will probably seem either stupid or strangely obvious!

Anyway, my question is this:
My understanding is Einstein's theory of general relativity basically proved Newton wrong with regard to his universal law of gravitation, but does that mean gravity in the Newtonian sense doesn't exist at all, and that all gravitational attraction between objects is due to curvature in space-time caused by those objects? Even when considering something basic (an apple) falling from some altitude (the branch of a tree) onto the earth?

Or is Einstein's formulation more appropriate when dealing with massive objects like stars and planets, while Newton's idea holds true on smaller scales like people and apples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's theory is a very good approximate description of gravity. Einstein's theory (General Relativity) is more accurate and does provide a theoretical underpinning.

For most calculations Newton's theory works fine - the Apollo mission as well as most space exploration uses it.

A practical example where G.R. is needed is GPS navigation.

We don't know how the gravity really works. We don't know how anything really works. All we have are models that make predictions that we can test. As mathman pointed out, Newtonian Gravity gives you satisfactory approximations in most practical situations. Being far easier to compute, Newtonian Gravity is usually used. But General Relativity is perfectly adequate for describing all the same things. Yes, you can easily describe apple's fall from the tree with Einstein's equations as motion caused by curvature of space-time. It's not even all that hard. But still, way more involved than same computation done according to Newton.

The reason we use Einstein's formulation to compute effects of gravity is because either Newtonian formalism doesn't provide sufficient precision (e.g. GPS navigation) or because it fails completely (e.g black holes). In other cases, we usually use Newtonian formalism because it's easier. But not because GR cannot be used. It always can be.

Ah I see! Thank you both, I believe that answers my questions, for the time being at least.
I can tell these forums will be of great use to me in future!

I would say that both Newtonian and Einsteinian theories of gravity are applicable in everyday life, but in different contexts. Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, is still a valid and useful approximation for most everyday situations. This is why we still use it in fields like engineering and astronomy to make calculations and predictions about the behavior of objects in our daily lives.

However, Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects, is a more accurate and comprehensive explanation for gravity on a larger scale. This theory has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, and it has even been used to make predictions about phenomena like gravitational lensing and the existence of black holes.

So, to answer your question, gravity in the Newtonian sense does still exist in everyday life, but it is more accurate to say that it is a simplified version of the more complex reality described by Einstein's theory. And while Newton's law may work well for smaller objects like people and apples, it becomes less accurate when dealing with massive objects like stars and planets. In those cases, Einstein's theory is the more appropriate and precise description of gravity.

In conclusion, both Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity play a role in our understanding of the universe and have practical applications in our daily lives. It is important for scientists to continue exploring and studying both theories in order to gain a deeper understanding of the forces at work in our world.

1. What is the difference between Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity?

Newtonian gravity is based on the law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Einsteinian gravity, on the other hand, is based on the theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. How do Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity affect everyday life?

In everyday life, Newtonian gravity is sufficient for most purposes, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball or the orbit of a planet. However, in extreme situations involving massive objects or high speeds, Einsteinian gravity must be taken into account. GPS systems, for example, rely on both Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity to accurately determine locations.

3. Which theory is considered more accurate?

Einsteinian gravity is considered more accurate than Newtonian gravity because it can explain phenomena that Newtonian gravity cannot, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit and the bending of light around massive objects. However, Newtonian gravity is still a useful approximation in many situations and is much simpler to use in calculations.

4. Can Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity coexist?

Yes, Newtonian and Einsteinian gravity can coexist and are often used together to provide a more complete understanding of the universe. For example, Newton's law of universal gravitation can be derived from the principles of general relativity in the limit of weak gravitational fields and low speeds.

5. Are there any practical applications of Einsteinian gravity in everyday life?

Aside from GPS systems, there are other practical applications of Einsteinian gravity in everyday life. For example, the theory of general relativity is used in the design of satellites and spacecraft, and it is also used in the study of black holes and the search for gravitational waves.