How do you measure the air pressure inside a balloon?

In summary, there are various ways to measure the internal pressure of a balloon, such as using an "Absolute" pressure sensor or using water and tubing to measure the displacement caused by the pressure. The pressure inside a balloon is typically less than 2 psi above atmospheric pressure and can vary depending on the type of balloon.
thecooltodd
Unfortunately when I google the answer, the results are just how to use a balloon to measure air pressure. I want to be able to monitor the internal pressure of a balloon using a digital barometer.

1) How would I go about setting up such a system?
2) Would the barometer have to be on the inside of the balloon or are there ways of measuring the air pressure inside by letting out some air?
3) What type of digital barometer should I use?
4) What is the typical air pressure of a balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
thecooltodd said:
Unfortunately when I google the answer, the results are just how to use a balloon to measure air pressure. I want to be able to monitor the internal pressure of a balloon using a digital barometer.

1) How would I go about setting up such a system?
2) Would the barometer have to be on the inside of the balloon or are there ways of measuring the air pressure inside by letting out some air?
3) What type of digital barometer should I use?
4) What is the typical air pressure of a balloon?

You would use an "Absolute" pressure sensor, as described at this wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_sensor

You could use a relative/gauge pressure sensor if you could pass atmospheric pressure air through a tube that goes through where the knot normally goes on the balloon (like seal it with a rubber band around the tube).

If you know the deformational mechanical properties of the rubber comprising the balloon, the uninflated surface area of the balloon, the undeformed thickness of the rubber, and, if the balloon is close to a perfect sphere, then you can calculate the gas pressure inside the balloon as a function of the balloon diameter. Then, for any measured diameter, you will know the pressure inside the balloon.

The pressure inside a balloon will typically be less than 2 psi above atmospheric.

You would need a digital pressure gauge, not a barometer. But those can cost several hundred dollars.
Why not instead simply use some aquarium tubing plus water to measure the pressure. Take a bottle with a plastic screw on cap (coke bottle), make two holes in the cap, put two tubes through and glue them in with epoxy or super glue. Then you fill the bottle halfway with water. One of the two tubes should reach all the way to the bottom, the other should not touch the water. Then you connect a filled balloon to the shorter tube and see how far the water rises in the other. If it rises by 1 meter that means the pressure is 1N/cm^2 = 10000 N/m^2 = 10 kPa
Most toy balloons have around 5kPa. Modelling balloons have 10 - 20 kPa.

1) To set up a system for measuring the air pressure inside a balloon using a digital barometer, you would need to first attach the barometer to the balloon. This can be done by using a small piece of tape or adhesive to secure the barometer to the surface of the balloon. You may also need to attach a small tube or straw to the barometer to ensure that the sensitive sensor is not directly exposed to the air inside the balloon.

2) The barometer should be placed inside the balloon in order to accurately measure the internal air pressure. This is because the pressure inside the balloon is likely to be higher than the outside pressure, and letting out some air could affect the accuracy of the measurement.

3) When choosing a digital barometer for this purpose, it is important to select one with a high level of sensitivity and accuracy. This will ensure that you are able to get precise readings of the air pressure inside the balloon. Additionally, it may be helpful to choose a barometer with a data logging feature, which will allow you to track changes in pressure over time.

4) The typical air pressure inside a balloon can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of balloon, its size, and the amount of air inside. However, a general range for the pressure inside a balloon could be between 1-2 pounds per square inch (psi). Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and may vary in different situations.

1. How do you measure the air pressure inside a balloon?

To measure the air pressure inside a balloon, you will need a pressure gauge or a manometer. The gauge should be inserted into the opening of the balloon and the reading will display the pressure in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. What is the purpose of measuring the air pressure inside a balloon?

Measuring the air pressure inside a balloon is important for understanding the properties and behavior of the balloon. It also allows us to monitor and control the pressure, which can affect the size, shape, and stability of the balloon.

3. How does the air pressure affect a balloon?

The air pressure inside a balloon determines its volume and elasticity. As the pressure increases, the balloon will expand and become more rigid. On the other hand, decreasing the pressure will cause the balloon to shrink and become more flexible.

4. What factors can influence the air pressure inside a balloon?

The air pressure inside a balloon can be affected by various factors such as temperature, altitude, and the amount of air or gas inside the balloon. Temperature changes can cause the air inside the balloon to expand or contract, while changes in altitude can affect the air pressure outside the balloon.

5. How can you maintain a specific air pressure inside a balloon?

You can maintain a specific air pressure inside a balloon by adjusting the amount of air or gas inside, as well as controlling the temperature and altitude. A pressure gauge can also be used to monitor and adjust the pressure as needed.