proof about complex conjugate of a function

by anhnha
Tags: complex, conjugate, function, proof
anhnha
Jul29-13, 02:53 AM
P: 149
Hi,
I need to understand the proof about complex conjugate of a function.
g(z) = g*(z*)
I don't know what it it called in English and can't search for it.
If anyone knows where can I get the proof, please let me know.
Thanks for help.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
CompuChip
Jul29-13, 03:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,301
Note that if g is analytic around z0, you can write it as
$$g(z) = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n (z - z_0)^n$$
for all z in a neighborhood of z0, which is an easy expression to work with.
anhnha
Jul29-13, 04:02 AM
Deleted.

anhnha
Jul29-13, 04:34 AM

proof about complex conjugate of a function

Thanks for the idea!
[tex]g\left( z^{\ast }\right) =\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}[/tex]
[tex]g^{\ast }\left( z^{\ast }\right) = \left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }= \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z-z_{0}\right) ^{n}= g(z) [/tex]
Is this right?
CompuChip
Jul29-13, 04:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by anhnha View Post
Thanks for the idea!
[tex]g\left( z^{\ast }\right) =\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}[/tex]
This is actually a very specific function. In general, you will have coefficients an
[tex]g\left( z \right) =\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }a_n \left( z -z_{0}\right) ^{n}[/tex]
Depending on whether you look at real or complex analytic functions (also see this Wikipedia page and related pages), an are real or complex numbers and the proof will be more or less straightforward.

[tex]g^{\ast }\left( z^{\ast }\right) = \left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }= \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z-z_{0}\right) ^{n}= g(z) [/tex]
Is this right?
You are pretty quick jumping from ## \left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }## to ##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z-z_{0}\right) ^{n}##. You are trying to prove whether this equality holds, and it almost seems like you are assuming it now. At the moment, your 'proof' basically says "this theorem is true because it's true.". To convince a mathematician, you will need some more intermediate steps.

For example: is the conjugate of the sum the sum of the conjugate? If so, you can write
$$\left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast } = \sum _{n=0}^{\infty } \left(\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }$$
Then, how do you get from ##\left( (z^\ast - z_0)^n \right)^\ast## to ##(z - z_0)^n##?

You will find that you actually need some restrictions!
anhnha
Jul29-13, 05:07 AM
Hi,
In my case I am now interested in real functions. Therefore, according to the link you gave coefficients an will be real.
You are pretty quick jumping from ## \left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }## to ##\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z-z_{0}\right) ^{n}##. You are trying to prove whether this equality holds, and it almost seems like you are assuming it now. At the moment, your 'proof' basically says "this theorem is true because it's true.". To convince a mathematician, you will need some more intermediate steps.

For example: is the conjugate of the sum the sum of the conjugate? If so, you can write
$$\left( \sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast } = \sum _{n=0}^{\infty } \left(\left( z^{\ast }-z_{0}\right) ^{n}\right) ^{\ast }$$
Then, how do you get from ##\left( (z^\ast - z_0)^n \right)^\ast## to ##(z - z_0)^n##?

Yes, that is my mistake. I use two properties of complex conjugate.
1. (x + y)* = x* + y*
2. (xy)*= x*y*
where x, y are complex numbers.

I think that z0 has to be real, right?
But in my case how can I prove that z0 is real?
anhnha
Aug2-13, 11:00 PM
Could anyone help me next?
CompuChip
Aug3-13, 04:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
##z_0## is real if ##(z_0)^\ast = z_0##.

You can use the two properties you mentioned to show that
##\left( (z^\ast - z_0)^n \right)^\ast = (z^\ast - z_0^\ast)^n##.

Register to reply