Solving Math Problems Digitally: Options for PC Users

• Thread starter Steel_City82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options pc
In summary, there are multiple options for typing and solving math problems on a computer. One option is to use the "equation editor" tool in the "word for windows" program. Another option is to customize the toolbar by adding an "equation" shortcut. If these options are not clear, the "help" function can be used to search for "equation". Additionally, other programs such as TeXniCenter, Scientific Notebook, and MiKTeX can be downloaded for a more user-friendly interface and advanced mathematical capabilities.
Steel_City82
Is there a program that would allow me to write out and solve math problems on my computer, the reason is my professor only wants problems typed and printed from the computer, not hand written.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "and solve math problems". I'm sure you professor wants you to do that part yourself! The "word for windows" that comes with windows has an "equation editor". To access it, click on "insert", then "object" and choose "microsoft equation editor" from the list.
If you use equations a lot (and I do), you can put an "equation" shortcut on the tool bar. Click on "Fromat", then "customize" and then on the "Commands" tab. You can click on "insert" to get a list of commands that are under the "insert" menu item. Scroll down to "equation editor" (the icon is a little [itex]\sqrt{\alpha}}[/itex]) and then drag it to one of the toolbars at the top of the page.

If this isn't clear to you, click on "help" and then search for "equation".

Thanks, and for the sovling part i meant I do the work on paper then show each step typed up.

As a free (and prettier) alternative to Equation Editor, you can download and install the MiKTeX small package and install TeXniCenter for a nice editing interface. This will yield equations in the style of those displayed on these forums.

Last edited:
Try Scientific Notebook. It is TeX based but hides the inner workings of TeX from the user and works just like a word processor. SN also has a muPAD engine which means that it does math and graphics! It is very easy to use and produces outstanding results.

I would also recommend MiKTeX. I've used TeXniCenter, but I prefer a text editor (Crimson Editor in my case) for myself.

1. What are some popular software options for solving math problems on a PC?

Some popular software options for solving math problems on a PC include Microsoft Excel, Wolfram Mathematica, Maple, MATLAB, and GeoGebra.

2. Can I use online tools to solve math problems on my PC?

Yes, there are many online tools available that can be used to solve math problems on a PC, such as Desmos, Symbolab, and Mathway.

3. Are there any free options for solving math problems on a PC?

Yes, there are several free options for solving math problems on a PC, including GeoGebra, Desmos, and WolframAlpha.

4. Can I input handwritten math problems to be solved on a PC?

Yes, there are various software options that allow for handwriting recognition, such as Microsoft OneNote, Mathpix, and MyScript Calculator.

5. Are there any programs specifically designed for solving complex math problems on a PC?

Yes, there are programs specifically designed for solving complex math problems on a PC, such as MATLAB, Maple, and Wolfram Mathematica. These programs have advanced features and capabilities for solving complicated equations and performing complex calculations.