Motherboard Advice: ABIT IS7-V2 & Replacement Options

• Thread starter jamesrc
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker bought a new computer but it recently stopped working and the warranty has expired. They suspect an issue with the motherboard and are seeking advice on how to troubleshoot it. They also ask for recommendations for a new motherboard with similar features. The speaker is advised to have someone with expertise look at it before making any purchases. They are also given tips on how to check if the motherboard recognizes the hard drive and how to access the setup menu.
jamesrc
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,

I bought a new computer a little over a year ago (some specs included below) and it recently stopped working. It powers on and the drives spin, but it does not go into its boot sequence. I don't know much about computer hardware, but I'm guessing there is something wrong with my motherboard (I did try with a different hard drive with the same results). Of course, my warranty on the hardware just expired, so the place I bought it from isn't willing to help out.
Basically I've got two questions: is there anything I can/should try with the motherboard I have to see if it is still usable? It is an ABIT IS7 series (IS7-V2) board. Secondly (especially if the answer to the first question is "no") could you recommend a board to replace the one I have? The board I have has been discontinued (though I could probably still buy one somewhere, I just don't want it to break in a year too). I'm not sure what I should be looking for (which is why I'm asking for help), but I guess I'd want comparable to better functionality to the way the one I have is supposed to perform (or at least the info I need to look for to make sure it is compatible with all of the other components I have). Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

2ND_USB: STANDARD 2 USB PORTS + 2 EXTRA USB PORTS CONNECTORS
CAS: ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT
CD: COMBO DRIVE (16X DVD-ROM & 52x32x52 CD-RW)
CDRW: CD-RW 52X32X52
CPU: (800Mhz FSB)Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU @ 3.4GHZ 1MB w/ Hyper Threading
HDD: Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Editon
MOTHERBOARD: *(DDR400-800MHz FSB)ABIT IS7-V2 848P, Intel(R) i848
Mainboard PRESCOTT SUPPORT w/ LAN & 5.1 SOUND W/SATA
MEMORY: 2048 MB (512MBx4) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It seems like you have a socket 478 CPU and an AGP graphicscard, so you will need a board with those features. You should also make sure that the board you find have two IDE ports as you will need those fo your harddrive and your ooptical drives. I would recommed a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, however you should consider if it is worth the trouble to fretch such a card. Both socket 478 and AGP cards are by now old standards. If you can live with just one optical drive ASRock P4Dual-915GL might be worth it. it have both an AGP slot and and a PCI-Ex16 for newer graphicscard.

As for the first question, I would first let someone that have some expertise look at it, if you do not know any consider paying (!) for it. It would be very annoying to buy new parts to replace ones that do work.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to find someone to look at it before I go off and buy anything.

There are two things you may want to check:

first check to see if your motherboard reconizes your hard drive if it does then the second thing to check is your boot sequence your motherboard may be looking at your cd drive for something to startup with.

I don't know if you know how to look for this, but if not when you start up your computer you should see something that says setup with a key assignment next to it just press that key and it should take you to the setup

on my computer i think f8 takes me to my motherboard setup

1. What are the specifications of the ABIT IS7-V2 motherboard?

The ABIT IS7-V2 motherboard is an ATX form factor board with an Intel 865PE chipset. It supports Intel Pentium 4 processors with a Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of 800MHz, and has 4 DDR DIMM slots for a maximum memory capacity of 4GB.

2. Is the ABIT IS7-V2 still a viable option for a modern computer?

The ABIT IS7-V2 is an older motherboard and may not be compatible with newer components, such as more advanced processors and graphics cards. It also may not support newer technologies such as USB 3.0. It is recommended to research and compare newer motherboards to determine the best option for your needs.

3. Can I upgrade the processor on the ABIT IS7-V2?

The ABIT IS7-V2 supports Intel Pentium 4 processors with a maximum FSB speed of 800MHz. It may be possible to upgrade to a faster processor within the same FSB speed, but it is recommended to consult the motherboard's manual or website for a list of compatible processors.

4. Are there any common issues or faults with the ABIT IS7-V2 motherboard?

Some users have reported issues with the onboard LAN and audio on the ABIT IS7-V2. It is recommended to research and read reviews from other users before purchasing this motherboard.

5. What are some replacement options for the ABIT IS7-V2?

Some potential replacement options for the ABIT IS7-V2 include the ASUS P5P800 motherboard, which also has an Intel 865PE chipset and supports Intel Pentium 4 processors. Other possible options include the Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G motherboard or the MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum Edition motherboard.