How do I calculate the final temperature when dropping ice into water?

In summary, the question is about finding the final temperature when dropping ice that is -10 degrees Celsius into water that is initially 20 degrees Celsius. The formula Q = m.c.delta theta can be used from -10 to 0, but after that, the equation Q = m.l may also need to be used since both the ice and water will be changing temperature. The heat lost by the water must be equal to the heat gained by the ice, and the latent heat of ice may also need to be considered.
dan greig
I have a question about droping ice into water and working out the final temp.
ice is -10 and water is 20 degrees c, I know that from -10 to 0 I can use,

Q = m.c.delta theta

but does this give me the final answer or do i need to use, Q = m.l, after 0.

I think this because this equation is used when no change in temp occurs, also after 0 do i go back to original equation?

thanks, Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Not only will the ice be warming up, but the water will also be cooling down; this needs to be factored in also.

i realize that from -10 to 0
the heat lost by the water = the heat gained by the ice

but what i don't quite get is that after that how do come to a final figure?

I have been given the latent heat of ice so this makes me think it needs to be involved not just using,

Q=mc delta T

meaning (T - 30) and (30 - T)

As in -10 to 20 celsius.

1. What is a phase change?

A phase change is a physical change that occurs when a substance changes from one state of matter to another. This can happen when a substance is heated or cooled, or when pressure is applied.

2. What are the different types of phase changes?

The three most common types of phase changes are melting (solid to liquid), freezing (liquid to solid), and vaporization (liquid to gas). Other types include condensation (gas to liquid), sublimation (solid to gas), and deposition (gas to solid).

3. What factors affect the rate of a phase change?

The rate of a phase change is affected by temperature, pressure, and the properties of the substance itself. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in faster phase changes.

4. Can a substance undergo multiple phase changes?

Yes, a substance can undergo multiple phase changes under certain conditions. For example, water can go from solid to liquid to gas as it is heated, and then from gas to liquid to solid as it is cooled.

5. How are phase changes important in everyday life?

Phase changes play a crucial role in everyday life, from cooking food to producing electricity. They also help control the Earth's climate and are important in industries such as manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.