Does this negative sign even matter in sin(x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is necessary to include a negative sign inside the sin(x) function when solving differential equations. While the individual asking the question prefers to include the negative sign, their professor does not include it and still arrives at the same answer. However, it is advised to leave the negative sign in for accuracy and to avoid developing bad habits. The conversation also mentions that the theorem used to solve these types of equations may have specific guidelines for when the negative sign should or should not be included.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, when I'm doing these problems i always make sure i put a negative inside the sin(x) function, then just later take it out like
cos(2t)+sin(-2t) = cos(2t)-sin(2t); Because sin is an odd function.
But my professor says f it and never does, for instance here is my work, i came out with the professors answer but he didn't use the negative at all, he just acted as if it was r1 = -9+2i, r2 = -9+2i, rather than r1,2 = -9+/- 2i;
http://suprfile.com/src/1/2dq85j/lastscan.jpg

He does this with all his problems, even in an e-mail, he told me, don't worry about putting the negative sign inside the sin function. So is this true?

THe professors answer was:
y = e^(-9t)(18sin(2t)+3cos(2t))
which is the same as mine once i take that negative sign out of the sin(x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, sin(x) is different from sin(-x). There are some problems where it will make a difference and some where it won't.

Since sin(x) is not an even function, sin(x) = sin(-x) for only some specific values (namely, x = k*pi), but not in general.

- Warren

so when dealing with Differential equations should i stlil toss it in there or just do it like my professor?

Definitely leave it in there. For the equations you deal with right now, it might be removable, but you don't want to develop bad habits for when it does matter.

If B is an arbitrary constant, then so is -B.

Anyways, you should review the theorem that allows you to solve these types of differential equations in this way, and see what it has to say about it.

1. Is the negative sign in sin(x) significant?

Yes, the negative sign in sin(x) is significant. It determines the direction and orientation of the graph of the function. A negative sign in front of the sin(x) term means that the graph will be reflected across the x-axis, while a positive sign means the graph will not be reflected.

2. Can I ignore the negative sign when evaluating sin(x)?

No, you cannot ignore the negative sign when evaluating sin(x). It is an essential part of the function and must be taken into consideration when calculating the value of sin(x) at a given point.

3. Will the negative sign change the value of sin(x)?

Yes, the negative sign will change the value of sin(x). The negative sign will result in a negative output for certain values of x, while a positive sign will result in a positive output. This is due to the reflective nature of the function when there is a negative sign present.

4. Does the negative sign affect the period of sin(x)?

No, the negative sign does not affect the period of sin(x). The period of sin(x) remains the same regardless of the presence of a negative sign. The period is determined by the coefficient of x, which is usually 1.

5. Can a negative sign be added to the angle in sin(x)?

Yes, a negative sign can be added to the angle in sin(x). This will result in a negative output for positive angles and a positive output for negative angles. However, it is important to note that the negative sign must be placed in front of the sin function, not the angle itself.