Choice of course Phys-Math (McGill)

In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's enrollment in the Joint Honours Program in Mathematics and Physics at McGill University and their search for guidance on course selection. They mentioned being new to the university system and provided a link to the list of classes. They expressed a desire to pursue theoretical physics and asked for recommendations on which courses to take first. The conversation also touched upon the academic advisor and the different programs for students from the CEGEP system or outside of Quebec. The individual was advised to refer to the course calendar and schedule for more information on required courses and pre-requisites, and to use the Minerva system for registration.
Logik
Hi, I'm going into the Joint Honours Program in Mathematics and Physics @ McGill next session... I'm seeking for help on what course to take... (also how to take them...using minerva?) I'm new to all that university stuff... not too shure how it works... here is the list of class: http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/math.html" [Broken] ... what should I take first? I want to go in theoretical physics...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you don't really have any choices to make until your 3rd year...

I did my undergrad, and master at McGill but in microbio. I'll try to guide as best as I can.

First, you should have been assign an academic advisor. Seek help from him if you have any question.

Are you coming from the CEGEP system or are from outside the province of Quebec.

People that come from the CEGEP system do a 3 year program. People outside the province do a a freshman year program before the 3 year program.

From the website, the course you have to select is straight foward. At McGill, a normal semester load is 15 credits and which equals to 5 3-credit courses. The U1 list is for people coming from the CEGEP system. there 9 course that are required so have to register to these course in your first year. the 10th course you choose between linear algebra or algebra 2.

check the calendar for more information on the couse and the pre-req. in the calendar
http://www.coursecalendar.mcgill.ca/ugcal2006-07/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

You should also check the course schedule for each semester so you can make your schedule without any conflict
https://poseidon.cc.mcgill.ca/pls/mcgp/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched

Minerva is a fairly easy system to use. Mcgill has a tutorial for it on its webpage
http://www.mcgill.ca/minerva-students/registration/steps/

Hope this help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the curriculum like for the Phys-Math program at McGill?

The curriculum for the Phys-Math program at McGill is a combination of physics and mathematics courses, with a focus on theoretical and applied physics, as well as mathematical methods and concepts. Students will also have the opportunity to take courses in related fields such as computer science, chemistry, and engineering.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Phys-Math degree from McGill?

Graduates of the Phys-Math program at McGill have a variety of career options, including working in research and development, data analysis, and computer programming. Many students also go on to pursue graduate studies in fields such as physics, mathematics, or engineering.

3. How does the Phys-Math program at McGill differ from other physics or mathematics programs?

The Phys-Math program at McGill is unique in that it combines both physics and mathematics in a comprehensive way, allowing students to develop a strong foundation in both subjects. This interdisciplinary approach can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles underlying physical phenomena and mathematical methods.

4. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for the Phys-Math program at McGill?

Yes, students are required to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and chemistry in order to be successful in the Phys-Math program at McGill. Prerequisite courses may include calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. Can students in the Phys-Math program at McGill participate in research opportunities?

Yes, students in the Phys-Math program at McGill have the opportunity to participate in research projects with faculty members from various departments. This can provide hands-on experience and valuable skills for future careers or graduate studies.