Mobility Shift Assays: Links & Resources

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources on a particular methodology, specifically the theory and protocols for non-radioactive or radioactive processes. The user recommends searching on Google for "mobility shift essay" to find various protocols and explanations, and also mentions the possibility of other members having helpful links on the topic. A link is provided to a document covering the theory and radioactive protocol for the methodology.
rockind78
I am looking for some good links on this particular methodology. Anybody have any?

Biology news on Phys.org
What do you want to know?

Non-radioactive or radioactive protocols or just the theory

This covers most of the theory and radioactive protocol.
http://paris.chem.yale.edu/protocols/EMSA-JKM.pdf

If you do a google search with moblity shift essay you will find plenty of protocols and explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by iansmith
What do you want to know?

Non-radioactive or radioactive protocols or just the theory?

Mainly just the theory.

If you do a google search with moblity shift essay you will find plenty of protocols and explanation.

I did do a google search, but the results of my find were pretty protocol intensive, and my focus was on theory. I also like to believe that depending on the subject material, some members keep magic links up their sleeves. Thank you very much for that link Ian, as usual, you were quite helpful.:smile:

1. What is a mobility shift assay?

A mobility shift assay is a biochemical technique used to study protein-DNA interactions. It involves separating DNA fragments based on their size and charge, and then visualizing the shifted bands indicating the binding of proteins to the DNA.

2. How is a mobility shift assay performed?

A mobility shift assay involves incubating a labeled DNA fragment with a protein of interest, followed by running the samples on a gel electrophoresis. The gel is then visualized to observe any shifts in the DNA bands, indicating the binding of the protein to the DNA.

3. What is the purpose of a mobility shift assay?

The purpose of a mobility shift assay is to study protein-DNA interactions, including protein binding, protein-DNA complex formation, and protein-protein interactions. It can also be used to determine the binding affinity and specificity of a protein for a particular DNA sequence.

4. What are the advantages of using a mobility shift assay?

One of the main advantages of using a mobility shift assay is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It also provides valuable information about protein-DNA interactions, such as binding affinity and specificity, which can be useful for drug discovery and development. Additionally, the assay can be easily modified for high-throughput screening.

5. Are there any limitations of a mobility shift assay?

One limitation of a mobility shift assay is that it only provides qualitative information about protein-DNA interactions and does not measure the strength of the binding. It also requires purified protein, which can be time-consuming and challenging to obtain. Additionally, the assay may not work well for large proteins or proteins that bind to multiple DNA sequences.