Calculating Impulse and Force: Can I Determine Collision Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between momentums of two balls and the force they exert on each other when colliding. The individual asking the question is curious if knowing the momentums and angle is enough to determine the force, but the other person explains that knowing the time is necessary as well. They also clarify that acceleration is needed to calculate the force, but knowing the time of the collision is crucial in determining the acceleration.
kishtik
Is it enough to know the momentums of the balls (and the angle) to determine what force they exert on each other when they collide?

I know F delta t = m delta v but how can I know the time?

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't!

Your question seems very lacking in detail...

I mean isn't there a way that I can know the force they exert on each other without knowing the time they thouch each other?

Thanks.

In a word, no.

But there must be a way to calculate their velocities after the collision.

Yes, of course there is. That WASN'T your question before.
You may be thinking that since you know change in speed you must be able to find the force.

That's not correct. If you knew acceleration you would able to find the force but knowing what acceleration causes the change in force would require that you know the time in which the change takes place.

Ok thanks.

1. What is impulse and how is it related to force?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is directly related to force, as it is the product of force and the time over which the force is applied. In other words, impulse is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it acts on an object.

2. How do I calculate impulse?

To calculate impulse, you multiply the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. Mathematically, this can be represented as J = F * Δt, where J is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

3. Can I use impulse to determine collision forces?

Yes, impulse can be used to determine collision forces. In a collision, the impulse experienced by an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time of the collision. By measuring the impulse and knowing the time of the collision, you can calculate the force of the collision.

4. What other factors besides force and time affect impulse?

The mass and velocity of an object also affect impulse. A larger mass will experience a greater change in momentum for a given impulse, while a higher velocity will result in a greater change in momentum for a given force and time.

5. How does understanding impulse and force help in real-world situations?

Understanding impulse and force can help in many real-world situations, such as car crashes, sports, and industrial accidents. By calculating the forces involved in collisions, we can design safer cars and equipment, and also understand how to better protect ourselves in these situations.