Physical pendulum of stick swing

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the moment of inertia of a pivoted stick that is acting as a physical pendulum. The mass of the stick, its center of gravity, and the period of its swinging motion are provided. The parallel-axis theorem is used to calculate the moment of inertia, but the assumption that the stick can be approximated as a thin rod is challenged. Instead, the equation for a physical pendulum is suggested as a more accurate method for determining the moment of inertia.
scienceman2k9
Problem:

A large stick is pivoted about one end and allowed to swing back and forth as a physical penulum. The mass of the stick is 5.90 kg and its center of gravity (found by finding its balance point) is 1.2 m from the pivot. If the period of the swinging stick is 3.90 seconds, what is its moment of inertia, about an axis through the pivot?

I used the parallel-axis theorem (Ip=Icm+Mh^2)...which turns out to be 1/3ML^2 ...so I get 11.328 kgm^2 as the moment of inertia. I am not sure why the period is given. I know T=(2pi)/omega and omega I think is sqrt(MgL/Ip)...so if I solve for Ip given the period, I get a different Ip than my previous calculation. Any enlightenment would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed that the stick could be approximated with a thin rod of uniform mass distribution. Apparently this assumption is wrong, the stick doesn't have to be of uniform material nor does it have to resemble a rod.
The following equation applies to a physical pendulum:

[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{I_A}{mgl}}[/tex]

where IA is the moment of inertia about the axis through the pivot and l the distance between the pivot and centre of mass.

Last edited:
Thanks! :smile:

1. What is a physical pendulum of stick swing?

A physical pendulum of stick swing is a type of oscillating motion that occurs when a rigid stick is attached to a pivot point and allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. This motion is similar to that of a simple pendulum, but the stick's mass distribution and size can affect its behavior.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the stick, m is the mass of the stick, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the stick.

3. What factors affect the motion of a physical pendulum of stick swing?

The motion of a physical pendulum of stick swing is affected by several factors, including the length and mass of the stick, the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass, and the angle at which the stick is released. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and friction can also impact the motion.

4. How does the period of a physical pendulum change as the length of the stick increases?

The period of a physical pendulum increases as the length of the stick increases. This is because a longer stick has a larger moment of inertia, which results in a slower swinging motion. However, if the length of the stick is too long, it may become unstable and not complete a full swing.

5. What are some real-life applications of physical pendulum of stick swing?

The physical pendulum of stick swing has many practical applications, including in clocks, seismometers, and amusement rides. It is also used in sports, such as in the long jump event, where athletes use the swinging motion to gain momentum before jumping. Additionally, understanding the physics behind the motion can help engineers design stable and efficient structures, such as suspension bridges.