Multiple Universe: Could Black Holes Create New Universes?

In summary, the singularity that forms in a black hole could generate a new universe. This would seem to be true because in order to travel back in time or escape a black hole you would have to travel faster than the speed of light. However, this theory has been largely dismissed because it is based on faulty reasoning.
binaryblade
I'm new to relativity and have only seen a few things but from what I have seen has lead me to wonder. My question is: If the singularities which form in black holes are similar to the point of infinite density that spawned our universe. Would it be possible that the singularity formed in black hole generate an new universe as it pinches itself off from the our universe. If this were true then the point in our space where the singularity is would become the beginning of time for the new universe. This would seem to hold true because in order to travel backward in time you must travel faster than light the same holds true for escaping a "black hole".

I have no Idea if this makes any sense or if it is complete stupidity or even if it has any relavence to relativity. I would appreciate feedback and any references to good material on cosmology and relativity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do have relativity by Einstein

Hi, there are various types of possible black hole in General relativity, for example the Schwarzschild black hole that is nonrotating and noncharged,and has a singularity with the shape of a point, but is assumed that the most probable existent black hole is a Kerr black hole (rotating and without charge), that has a singularity with the shape of a ring. Some people think that if you pass through the ring you will arrive to another universe, but very peculiar, is an antigravity universe, where gravity is repulsive

Last edited:
I've heard mention of things like that but what I find problematic about this is that: A singularity should be an object of infinite desity by its very definition and if it where shaped like a point, dot or ring then that would imply that the object has dimensions, and therefore cannot be infinitely dense, instead it would just be a hyperdense object.

I wish i could learn the math nessecary to descibe these phenomenea unfortunately no one anywhere near me nows how and my only reasources are books and the internet and any references would be nice. (I only have a grade 12 education but math comes extremely asy for me and all I need is the information.

Originally posted by binaryblade
I wish i could learn the math nessecary to descibe these phenomenea unfortunately no one anywhere near me nows how and my only reasources are books and the internet and any references would be nice. (I only have a grade 12 education but math comes extremely asy for me and all I need is the information.
Try a book by Wolfgang Rindler, "Relativity: Special, General and Cosmological," published in 2001 by Oxford University Press, ISBN 0 19 850836 0 (Paperback). You should be a bit comfortable with calculus. If you are not, learn that first.

the point of infinite density that spawned our universe. .

If i recall theories of a Big Bang singualrity have been largely discarded, I know Hawking did his thesis on it, but later discarded it as ultimately incorrect (its in his book A Brief History of Time).

Thank you on both points I definitely check into both of those. However, I still can't understand how an object of infinite density hasw a shape.

Thank you on both points I definitely check into both of those. However, I still can't understand how an object of infinite density hasw a shape.

Its a mathematical consequence. Physically its kinda difficult to visulaize, but think of it not as a 3 dimensional ring, but rather a circle, a line that connects to itself, and thus has no volume. This mantains the idea of infite density, even though it is not a point.

thank you that explains alot

1. What is the theory behind multiple universes?

The theory of multiple universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggests that there are an infinite number of universes besides our own. These universes may have different physical laws, constants, and histories.

2. What role do black holes play in creating new universes?

The idea that black holes could create new universes is based on the theory of eternal inflation, which proposes that our universe is constantly expanding and new universes are created within black holes. As matter enters a black hole, it is compressed and eventually explodes into a new universe.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of multiple universes?

While there is currently no direct evidence for the existence of multiple universes, some theories in physics, such as string theory, suggest the possibility. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation have led some scientists to believe that our universe may be just one of many.

4. Could we ever potentially travel to or communicate with other universes?

At this time, it is purely speculative whether we could ever travel to or communicate with other universes. The laws of physics may be vastly different in other universes, making it impossible for us to interact with them. However, some scientists are exploring the concept of parallel universes where communication or travel may be possible.

5. How does the existence of multiple universes affect our understanding of the universe?

The idea of multiple universes challenges our current understanding of the universe and raises many questions about the nature of reality. It also has implications for the concept of the "anthropic principle," which suggests that our universe is finely tuned for life. If there are an infinite number of universes, it raises the question of whether our universe is truly unique or just one of many possible outcomes.