What is the acceleration of a sliding box in a decelerating truck?

In summary, the problem involves a hauling truck traveling on a level road and the driver suddenly applying brakes, causing the truck to decelerate by an amount of g/2. This leads to a box in the rear of the truck sliding forward. The coefficient of sliding friction between the box and the truckbed is 1/3. The task is to find the acceleration of the box relative to (a) the truck and (b) the road. To solve this, we can consider two different observers - a noninertial observer and an inertial observer. The horizontal force is negative due to the deceleration and the equation used is F=mA+ma'. Initially, assuming no friction inside the truck, the box will
tralblaz
:uhh: First, I will state the problem -
A hauling truck is traveling on a level road. The driver suddenly applies the brakes, causing the truck to decelerate by an amount (g/2). This causes a box in the rear of the truck to slide forward. If the coefficent of sliding friction between the box and the truckbed is (1/3), find the acceleration of the box relative to (a) the truck and (b) the road.

Okay, here is what I have thus far - 1) part (a) will be a noninertial observer and part (b) will be an inertial observer. (So, I will have two equations) 2) The force(s) is in the horizontal direction and since it is DECELERATION, the horizontal force will be negative. 3) I am trying to solve this by starting with the sum of the forces, but I am not given a mass. I am only given friction and deceleration. I am assuming that g is gravitity. I also know the equation F=mA+ma'. Where a' is the acceleration of the object in the moving system.

Could anyone give me any direction on how to pursue this problem? THANKS! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose initially that there is no friction inside the truck, and both truck and box are traveling at the same speed, therefore motionless wrt each other.
Now when the truck decelerates, and there is no friction to stop the box, then it will accelerate at g/2 wrt the truck.

What is the force required to act on the box in order to give it this accln?

Now you know the accelerating force, add in friction. etc.

1. What is a noninertial reference system?

A noninertial reference system is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This can be due to the presence of acceleration or rotation, making it a non-uniform or accelerating frame of reference. In a noninertial reference system, fictitious forces may appear to act on objects that are at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is a noninertial reference system different from an inertial reference system?

An inertial reference system is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion hold true and there are no fictitious forces acting. In contrast, a noninertial reference system is a frame of reference where fictitious forces may appear due to acceleration or rotation.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to noninertial reference systems?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which an object moving in a rotating frame of reference appears to experience a force perpendicular to its direction of motion. This effect is due to the rotation of the frame of reference and is an example of a fictitious force that appears in noninertial reference systems.

4. How are noninertial reference systems used in physics?

Noninertial reference systems are used in physics to study and analyze motion in situations where inertial frames of reference are not applicable. They are particularly useful in understanding the motion of objects in rotating or accelerating systems, such as the Earth's rotation or a spacecraft orbiting a planet.

5. Can noninertial reference systems be transformed into inertial reference systems?

Yes, it is possible to transform a noninertial reference system into an inertial reference system by taking into account the fictitious forces that appear in the noninertial frame of reference. This transformation is known as a fictitious force transformation and is used in certain cases, such as in the analysis of motion in a rotating reference frame.