Aerogel, best insulator on Earth

In summary: . it doesnt really have any true uses that i know of other than insulation and it isnt as strong as other materials like rubber or silicone. the main problem with it is that the production process is very expensive and it is very brittle. it seems like it could have some potential in applications like fire fighter gear or car insulation, but theres not much demand for it.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today I went to the JPL at Pasadena, and I saw the Aerogel. It is said it is the best insulator on Earth. They used it for insulating the Mars Rover vehicles. But it seems that is weak when shear stress is applied.

Do you know what are the current applications of Aerogel, and why is it not used more often?.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of any current uses other than shuttle tiles. The stuff is truly amazing, and should have applications in such things as fire-fighter protective gear. I suspect that the main problems are production cost and the fact that, from the last time I saw a report about it, it's very fragile (brittle) in terms of mechanical strength.

I know it was used in the Stardust Mission to trap and return samples from a comet.

I was messing around with my friends aerogel sample that he got from a private tour of jpl since caltech is only about 40 minutes away.

it was more of a foam than a gell and it breaks apart if you squeeze it and rub your fingers together

it doesn't seem to have much use to me other than taking up a lot of space with little mass. maybe if they need to fill an area with something stable that isn't too heavy they fill it up with aerogell

It doesn't seem to have the characteristics of gel, does it? I wonder why they call it that then. If its such a good insulator, do you think that it can replace the vacuum we use as an insulator, like in a thermos. Of course vacuum is definitely the best insulator, but it isn't true vacuum we have there and maybe it can play a role in deflecting/absorbing emf rays.

It appears that I was mistaken about something. Aren't the shuttle tiles a specialized form of aerogel?

As far as I know, the Space Shuttle's Thermal protection System consists of carbon and silica ceramic tiles. There's a really cool picture of a guy holding a red-hot piece of silica tile fresh out of the kiln. They say because the thermal conductivity of the tile is so low he can hold it for up to 10 seconds!

http://www.answers.com/topic/space-shuttle-thermal-protection-system

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
As far as I know, the Space Shuttle's Thermal protection System consists of carbon and silica ceramic tiles. There's a really cool picture of a guy holding a red-hot piece of silica tile fresh out of the kiln. They say because the thermal conductivity of the tile is so low he can hold it for up to 10 seconds!

http://www.answers.com/topic/space-shuttle-thermal-protection-system

Yes, I've seen and held both and although they are both unique the shuttle tiles are more like "malted milk balls" if you will, an airy spongy substance but still "solid" in that they are hard and would crumble if you were to crush them with your hand. The AeroGel appears to be a gel and looks like jello almost but holding it is like holding air, in fact I never actually "held" it but held a plastic bag containing it as it's far too easy to lose if you were to try and physically hold it yourself.

Thanks for the clarification.

reinforced carbon-carbon isn't aerogel

aerogel is a somewhat foam-like gray solid. when you are doing things with it, its like a piece of extremely light foam

What is aerogel?

Aerogel is a synthetic material that is created by removing the liquid component from a gel through a process called supercritical drying. This results in a material that is porous, lightweight, and has extremely low thermal conductivity, making it an excellent insulator.

How is aerogel used?

Aerogel is used in a wide range of applications, including insulation for buildings, spacecraft, and industrial equipment. It is also used in the production of energy-efficient windows, as well as in electronics and medical devices.

What makes aerogel the best insulator on Earth?

Aerogel has the lowest thermal conductivity of any known solid material. This means that it is highly effective at reducing the transfer of heat energy, making it an excellent insulator. Additionally, aerogel is also lightweight, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.

Is aerogel expensive?

Yes, aerogel can be quite expensive, especially compared to other types of insulation. This is due to the complex and energy-intensive manufacturing process, as well as the limited availability of the raw materials used to create it.

Are there any downsides to using aerogel as an insulator?

One potential downside of aerogel is its fragility. Due to its porous nature, it can be easily damaged if not handled carefully. Additionally, it is not suitable for use in high-temperature environments, as it can begin to break down and lose its insulating properties.