Theres Something about Physics

• Thread starter the_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses using energy instead of forces to determine the tangential velocity and acceleration of a 5 kg block going down a frictionless curve with a radius of 5 meters. The participants also mention using trigonometry to calculate the distance the block has fallen and how the acceleration at the midpoint of the curve is equivalent to that of a block on a straight slope with an equal angle to the tangent line. The question of what is meant by 60 degrees from the center of the curve is also addressed.
the_d
:rofl: I have a 5 kg block goin down a frictionless curve of radius 5 meters. I need to know the tangential velocity at 60 degrees from the center of the curve and its acceleration at the midpoint of the curve.

i have drawn a FBD of the block, where do i go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use energy instead of forces for this one.

I don't get what you mean at 60 degrees from the center of the curve... do you mean 60 degrees from the top of the quarter circle? In that case, you should use trig to figure out how far it's fallen.

For the acceleration, the acceleration at the midpoint is just as if the block was lying on a straight slope with equal angle to the horizontal as the tangent line is at that point

Office_Shredder said:
I would use energy instead of forces for this one.

I don't get what you mean at 60 degrees from the center of the curve... do you mean 60 degrees from the top of the quarter circle? In that case, you should use trig to figure out how far it's fallen.

For the acceleration, the acceleration at the midpoint is just as if the block was lying on a straight slope with equal angle to the horizontal as the tangent line is at that point

when i say 60 degrees i mean from the center of the half circle

How do i get the acceleration at the midpoint of the curve?

1. What is "Theres Something about Physics"?

"Theres Something about Physics" is a phrase often used to describe the fascination and complexity of the scientific field of physics. It can also refer to the title of a popular movie or book about physics.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It also plays a crucial role in technological advancements and has led to many important discoveries and innovations.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for "geniuses" or highly intelligent individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics with proper education and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only applicable to theoretical concepts, when in fact it has real-world applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

4. How is physics related to other sciences?

Physics is closely related to other sciences such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy. Many scientific concepts and principles overlap between these disciplines, and a strong understanding of physics is often necessary for studying other sciences.

5. What are some career options for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia or government agencies, engineering roles in various industries, and teaching positions at all levels of education. Additionally, many companies in fields such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and healthcare also seek individuals with a background in physics.