Thermal Conductivity for metals

In summary, thermal conductivity is the ability of a metal to dissipate heat efficiently. It is determined by the metal's electrical resistance, phonon properties, and the Weidmann-Franz ratio. Searching google hasn't really helped so could someone please give me a bit more information on this? Thanks.
Dhesi
For my advanced higher physics investigation I've been given the topic of thermal conductivity.

Basically I am going to investigate the thermal conductivity of different metals and compare them to the electrical resistance of the metal as I believe that those with low electrical resistance will be good conductors of heat.

I've also been told to find out about the Weidmann-Franz ratio as this is another factor which I can investigate. Searching google hasnt really helped so could someone please give me a bit more information on this?

Thanks,

Michael

Science news on Phys.org
Dhesi said:
For my advanced higher physics investigation I've been given the topic of thermal conductivity.

Basically I am going to investigate the thermal conductivity of different metals and compare them to the electrical resistance of the metal as I believe that those with low electrical resistance will be good conductors of heat.

I've also been told to find out about the Weidmann-Franz ratio as this is another factor which I can investigate. Searching google hasnt really helped so could someone please give me a bit more information on this?

Thanks,

Michael
You can start off by learning about the role conduction electrons play in electrical and thermal conductivity, then at the role phonons and scattering play in resistivity. Have you taken quantum mechanics? I'm assuming yes since the Wiedemann-Franz law is based on the concept of an electron gas. Check out Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics for a good intro treatment, complete with experimental data. Many people prefer the older editions (I have the 3rd). From there you can move up to a rigorous treatment of transport and scattering (Boltzmann equation, etc.) in one of the classic books on solid state, e.g., Ziman or Ashcroft and Mermin. Harrison, Solid State Theory (Dover pub) is among them and has the advantage of being very inexpensive.

A related thermal/electrical ratio is the Lorenz number.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am not a university student I am in my last year of high school and the course we do is similar to that of first year university, but sadly I don't have the book you're referring to. This is an investigation we do where you are given a topic a bit outwith the bounds of the course to see how you handle it. Just couldn't find many resounrces online about it.

Ah, that changes things. Take a look instead at
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thercond.html"
for a general description. This site (called "hyperphysics") is an excellent place to start research on a physics topic.

I'll look around tonight for any other sites that might work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
First understand the Drude derivation for the conductivity: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html#c1

Next, using the expression for electronic heat capacity, and the relationship between electronic thermal conductivity and heat capacity, you can write down an equation for the thermal conductivity of a metal.

Finally, taking the ratio of the two gives you the form of the Wiedemann-Franz Law: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thercond.html#c2

PS: Marcusl beat me to it.

Gokul43201 said:
PS: Marcusl beat me to it.
We thought alike but I typed faster!

Here's another site that looks reasonable, with short descriptions of the major concepts and few equations.
http://www.answers.com/topic/free-electron-theory-of-metals"
Read the top half and click on Conductivity (electric and thermal), Mean Free Path, and W-F Law. (The second half is more advanced; it does mention lattice vibrations and phonons towards the end).

For the flip side to conductivity, see
http://www.answers.com/topic/lattice-vibration"
and the link on electrical resistivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate the help, I am much more clued up now :)

Q: What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat flows through a material, per unit of thickness, when there is a temperature difference of one degree between two sides of the material.

Q: How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device consists of a heat source, a temperature sensor, and a material sample. The heat source applies a known amount of heat to one side of the sample, and the temperature sensor measures the temperature difference across the sample. The thermal conductivity is then calculated using this temperature difference and the known heat input.

Q: What factors affect thermal conductivity in metals?

The primary factors that affect thermal conductivity in metals are the density, crystal structure, and temperature of the metal. Metals with higher densities and more efficient crystal structures tend to have higher thermal conductivity. Additionally, thermal conductivity typically decreases as temperature increases.

Q: How does thermal conductivity differ between different metals?

Thermal conductivity can vary significantly between different metals. Generally, metals with higher atomic weights tend to have higher thermal conductivity. For example, copper has a higher thermal conductivity than iron, and gold has a higher thermal conductivity than lead.

Q: Why is thermal conductivity important in the study of metals?

Thermal conductivity is important in the study of metals because it affects how heat is transferred within and between materials. This can have practical applications, such as in the design of heat exchange systems or in understanding the behavior of materials in high-temperature environments. It also plays a role in the insulation and energy efficiency of buildings and other structures made of metal.