Calculating Current in a Circuit

In summary, an Ohm resistor is an electronic component that resists the flow of electrical current and is measured in units of Ohms (Ω). It affects current by restricting its flow, with higher resistance leading to lower current. The relationship between Ohm resistors and voltage is described by Ohm's law, which states that voltage is directly proportional to current and resistance. The resistance of an Ohm resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law or the color code on the resistor. Common uses for Ohm resistors include limiting current flow, stabilizing voltage levels, and dividing voltage in circuits, as well as in sensors, amplifiers, and power supplies.
wakejosh

Homework Statement

you measure a 20v potential difference across a 5 ohm resistor. what is the current?

The Attempt at a Solution

20 v/5 ohms = 4 v

is this correct? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not correct; your units are wrong
(why would a volt divided by an ohm be a volt?)
And, if you're looking for current, what is the SI unit for current?

Otherwise, it's fine. Personally, I prefer to see the equation you used before you plug in values.

typo, meant to put:

20 V / 5 ohms = 4 A

1. What is an Ohm resistor?

An Ohm resistor is an electronic component that is used to resist the flow of electrical current. It is measured in units of Ohms (Ω) and is typically made of a conducting material such as carbon, ceramic, or metal.

2. How does an Ohm resistor affect current?

An Ohm resistor affects current by restricting its flow. This is known as resistance. The higher the resistance, the lower the current will be. Ohm's law states that the current (I) flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the resistor (I = V/R).

3. What is the relationship between Ohm resistors and voltage?

The relationship between Ohm resistors and voltage is described by Ohm's law. It states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is directly proportional to the current (I) flowing through it and the resistance (R) of the resistor (V = I*R).

4. How do you calculate the resistance of an Ohm resistor?

To calculate the resistance of an Ohm resistor, you can use Ohm's law (R = V/I), where R is the resistance in Ohms, V is the voltage across the resistor, and I is the current flowing through the resistor. You can also use the color code on the resistor to determine its resistance value.

5. What are common uses for Ohm resistors?

Ohm resistors have a wide range of applications in electronics. They are commonly used to limit current flow, to stabilize voltage levels, and to divide voltage in circuits. They are also used in sensors, amplifiers, and power supplies, among other electronic devices.