The Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)

In summary, the Taylor's series for cos(z) about the point z_0 = (pi)/2 is -(z-\pi/2)+ (1/3!)(z-\pi/2)^3+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^{n+1}/(2n+1)!)(z- \pi/2)^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot This can be derived by using the identity cos(z) = -sin(z- pi/2) and the Taylor's series for sin(z). The derivatives of cos(z) can be evaluated at z_0 = (pi)/2, which simplifies the series.
laura_a

Homework Statement

Expand cos z into a Taylor series about the point z_0 = (pi)/2

With the aid of the identity

cos(z) = -sin(z - pi/2)

Homework Equations

Taylor series expansion for sin

sinu = \sum^{infty}_{n=0} (-1)^n * \frac{u^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}

and the identity as given above

The Attempt at a Solution

I've subbed in -sin(z- pi/2) into the identity my first prob was how to deal with the negative in front of the sin so I've done

u = z-pi/2

-sin(z-(pi/2)) = -(z-(pi/2)) + 1/3! * (z-(pi/2))^3 - 1/5! * (z-(pi/2))^5

So if that is even correct (because I'm not sure about where to put the negative signs... then what does it mean when it says "about the point" z_0 = (pi/2)

How do I sub that into my answer?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Taylor's series of a function 'about' [itex]z_0= \pi/2[/itex] is the series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{d^n f}{d x^n}(\pi/2)(z- \pi/2)^n[/tex].
That is, you have powers of [itex]z- \pi/2[/itex] as well as evaluating the derivatives at [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. One method of determining the derivative is to use that definition directly: all derivatives of cos(x) are cos(x), sin(x), -cos(x), -sin(x) and those have values of 0, 1, and -1 at [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

However, you are completely correct that [itex]cos(z)= -sin(z-\pi/2)[/itex]. That means all you need to do is write the Taylor's series for sin(z), which is
[tex]z- (1/3!)z^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^n/(2n+1)!)z^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\dot[/tex]
Multiply by -1 to get -sin(z):
[tex]-z+ (1/3!)z^3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^{n+1}/(2n+1)!)z^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\dot[/tex]
and finally replace z by [itex]z-\pi/2[/itex]:
[tex]-(z-\pi/2)+ (1/3!)(z-\pi/2)^3+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ ((-1)^{n+1}/(2n+1)!)(z- \pi/2)^{2n+1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

What is the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)?

The Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) is given by the formula: sin(z) = cos(z_0) + (z-z_0)sin'(z_0) + \frac{(z-z_0)^2}{2!}sin''(z_0) + \frac{(z-z_0)^3}{3!}sin'''(z_0) + ...

How is the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) derived?

The Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) is derived using the Maclaurin series expansion, which is a special case of the Taylor series expansion. The Maclaurin series expansion for sin(x) is given by: sin(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} - \frac{x^7}{7!} + ...

What is the significance of the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)?

The Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) is important because it allows us to approximate the value of sin(z) for any value of z, by using a finite number of terms from the series. This makes it a useful tool in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

What is the radius of convergence for the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)?

The radius of convergence for the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) is infinity, which means that the series converges for all values of z. This is because the Maclaurin series for sin(x) has a radius of convergence of infinity.

How accurate is the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2)?

The accuracy of the Taylor series expansion for sin about z_0 = (pi/2) depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms that are used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, the series will only be exact when an infinite number of terms are used.