Stationary Solution to Reaction-Diffusion Eq w/ Boundary Conditions

In summary, the stationary solution to the reaction diffusion equation with the given boundary conditions can be found by separating variables and solving for two individual solutions, u_1(x,y) and u_2(x,y), before combining them to get the final solution, u(x,y).
Signifier

Homework Statement

What is the stationary (steady state) solution to the following reaction diffusion equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial C}{\partial t}= \nabla^2C - kC
[/tex]

Subject to the boundary conditions C(x, y=0) = 1, C(x = 0, y) = C(x = L, y) (IE, periodic boundary conditions along the x-axis, the value at x=0 is the same as at x=L). Also, at y = 0 and y = L, [tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial C}{\partial y} = 0[/tex].

Homework Equations

With

[tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = 0[/tex],

rearrange to:

[tex]
\nabla^2C = kC
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I can solve this PDE without the boundary conditions, at least the one equation is satisified by a sum of hyberbolic sine or cosine functions. I have absolutely no idea how to incorporate the boundary conditions though. That they are periodic across x tells me that the solution should be symmetric about x = L / 2, but I have no mathematical reasons for this. I have never taking a PDE class before so I am a bit out of my element... any help would be very useful. I know that there IS an analytic solution with these constraints, but I haven't a clue what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Signifier said:

Homework Statement

What is the stationary (steady state) solution to the following reaction diffusion equation:

[tex]
\frac{\partial C}{\partial t}= \nabla^2C - kC
[/tex]

Subject to the boundary conditions C(x, y=0) = 1, C(x = 0, y) = C(x = L, y) (IE, periodic boundary conditions along the x-axis, the value at x=0 is the same as at x=L). Also, at y = 0 and y = L, [tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial C}{\partial y} = 0[/tex].
Steady state implies that [tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]
And so,
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial y^2} = kC[/tex]

I do not understand the Dirichlet problem. Is this on a rectangle? Can you be more implicit with the boundary conditions?

As Kummer said, your "stationary solution" implies
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial y^2} = kC[/tex]
Now "separate variables"- Let C= X(x)Y(y) so that the equation becomes
[tex]Y\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}+ X\frac{d^2Y}{dy^2}= kXY[/tex]
Divide by XY to get
[tex]\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}+ \frac{1}{Y}\frac{d^2Y}{dy^2}= k[/tex]
In order that that be true for all x the two parts involving only X and only Y must be constants (other wise, by changing x but not y, we could change the first term but not the second- their sum could not remain the same constant, k). That is, we must have
[tex]\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}= \lambda[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}= \lambda X[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{1}{Y}\frac{dY^2}{dy^2}= k- \lambda[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2Y}{dx^2}= (k- \lambda )Y[/tex]

The general solution will be a sum of [itex]X(x,\lambda)Y(y,\lambda)[/itex] summed over all possible values of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Can you see that, in order to satisfy periodic boundary conditions on the x-axis, [itex]\lambda[/itex] must be [itex]-2n\pi[/itex] for some integer n?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The general solution will be a sum of [itex]X(x,\lambda)Y(y,\lambda)[/itex] summed over all possible values of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Can you see that, in order to satisfy periodic boundary conditions on the x-axis, [itex]\lambda[/itex] must be [itex]-2n\pi[/itex] for some integer n?

1)What are the boundary conditions? I tried reading the post several times, I do not understand what they are?

2)Is it on a rectangle?

I am sorry to have not been more descriptive. I have not yet had time to digest HallsofIvy's response, which seems to be the most complete. To respond otherwise, though, the equation is being solved for the stationary state on a square of length/width L. The boundary conditions are: no flux at y = 0 or y = L (that is, top and bottom of square = no flux); periodic boundary conditions along x (that is, N(x = 0) = N(x = L)), and N = 1 along y = 0 (at the top of the square).

Thank you all; HallsofIvy, I will now proceed to consider what you've posted.

Signifier said:
and N = 1 along y = 0 (at the top of the square).
What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, it seems to me this is a partial differential equations with a non-homogenous boundary value problem.

Which means you will have to solve for [tex]u_1(x,y)[/tex] so to satisfy:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u_1}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u_1}{\partial y^2} = 0 \mbox{ with }\left\{ \begin{array}{c}u_1(x,0)=u_1(L,y)=u_1(x,L)=0\\ u_1(0,y)=f(y) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

And then you need to solve for [tex]u_2(x,y)[/tex] so to satify:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u_2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u_2}{\partial ^2 u_2}{\partial y^2}=0 \mbox{ with }\left\{ \begin{array}{c}u_2(x,0)=u_2(L,y)=u_2(x,0)=0\\u_2(L,y)=f(y) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Then, [tex]u(x,y)=u_1(x,y)+u_2(x,y)[/tex] will be the solution to this equation.

But to solve for those two individually use the methods of separation of variables.

Kummer: N = 1 along y = 0 means: N(x, 0) = 1 (all of the points along the line at the top of the square, at y = 0, have unit concentration).

I will now consider your response... thank you.

1. What is a stationary solution in reaction-diffusion equations?

A stationary solution in reaction-diffusion equations refers to a solution that does not change over time. This means that the concentration or density of the substances involved in the reaction-diffusion process remains constant throughout the system. It is a steady-state solution that can be described as an equilibrium state where the rates of diffusion and chemical reactions are balanced.

2. How are boundary conditions incorporated into reaction-diffusion equations?

Boundary conditions are incorporated into reaction-diffusion equations by specifying the values of the dependent variable (such as concentration or density) at the boundaries of the system. These values act as constraints on the solution and help to determine the behavior of the system at the boundaries. They can be either Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the value of the dependent variable is specified at the boundary, or Neumann boundary conditions, where the derivative of the dependent variable is specified at the boundary.

3. What is the role of diffusion in reaction-diffusion equations?

Diffusion is one of the key processes in reaction-diffusion equations. It refers to the movement of particles or substances from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. In reaction-diffusion equations, diffusion helps to spread the substances involved in the reaction, which can affect the rates and outcomes of the chemical reactions taking place.

4. Can reaction-diffusion equations be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, reaction-diffusion equations can be used to model a wide range of real-world systems, including biological, chemical, and physical systems. They have been used to study pattern formation in biological systems, such as animal coat markings and plant growth, as well as chemical reactions, such as the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction. They can also be applied to physical systems, such as diffusion of gases and heat transfer.

5. What are some numerical methods used to solve reaction-diffusion equations?

There are several numerical methods that can be used to solve reaction-diffusion equations, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the system into smaller parts and solving the resulting equations to approximate the solution. The choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.