QED Confinement: Will Charge be Confined if Alpha is Larger?

In summary: Thank you very much for the references, which were indeeed very useful.Could you tell me which is the present conventional view of confinement?
carroza
What would happen if the fine structure constant alpha was larger?
Will charge be confined, as colour is in QCD?

A simple argument, based on non-relativistic quantum mechanics, is that the binding energy of an electron in a hidrogen atom is given by E= - 1/2 (alpha)² m_e c². If alpha=2, instead of alpha=1/137, one could produce a pair electron-positron, bind the electron to the proton, and put the positron faw away. This could be a mechanism to surround any free particle with electrons or positrons (or muons, taus ..).

Of course, this argument does not take into account relativity, or quantum field effects. So, my question is whether it is there some theoretical treatment of non-perturbative QED, hinting to the presence of confinement .

I guess that I would like to understand if confinement is something related to the strength of the coupling constant, or something associated to the non-abelian nature of theories such as QCD.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
carroza said:
What would happen if the fine structure constant alpha was larger?
Will charge be confined, as colour is in QCD?

A simple argument, based on non-relativistic quantum mechanics, is that the binding energy of an electron in a hidrogen atom is given by E= - 1/2 (alpha)² m_e c². If alpha=2, instead of alpha=1/137, one could produce a pair electron-positron, bind the electron to the proton, and put the positron faw away. This could be a mechanism to surround any free particle with electrons or positrons (or muons, taus ..).

Of course, this argument does not take into account relativity, or quantum field effects. So, my question is whether it is there some theoretical treatment of non-perturbative QED, hinting to the presence of confinement .

I guess that I would like to understand if confinement is something related to the strength of the coupling constant, or something associated to the non-abelian nature of theories such as QCD.

Thanks.

I don't think what you described is a conventional view on confinement. However, this approach was investigated a long time ago by V. N. Gribov. See his "Orsay lectures on confinement"
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9403218
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9403322
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9905285

Eugene.

Thank you very much for the references, which were indeeed very useful.
Could you tell me which is the present conventional view of confinement?

Carroza

carroza said:
Thank you very much for the references, which were indeeed very useful.
Could you tell me which is the present conventional view of confinement?

No, I'm afraid not. I am not an expert in QCD and I don't want to mislead you. The best I can do is to direct you to Wikipedia.

Eugene.

1. What is QED confinement?

QED confinement refers to the phenomenon in quantum electrodynamics where charged particles are confined to a finite space due to the presence of other charged particles. This is due to the strong interaction between particles, resulting in the confinement of their charges.

2. How does QED confinement work?

QED confinement works through the exchange of virtual particles called photons. These photons mediate the strong interaction between charged particles, causing them to be confined to a finite space. This is similar to how the strong nuclear force holds quarks together in the nucleus of an atom.

3. Will charge be confined if alpha is larger?

Yes, charge will still be confined if alpha (the fine structure constant) is larger. This is because the strength of the confinement is not dependent on the value of alpha, but rather on the strength of the interaction between particles.

4. What is the significance of QED confinement?

The significance of QED confinement lies in its role in understanding the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It helps explain the stability of atoms and the structure of matter. It also has important implications in areas such as nuclear physics and particle accelerators.

5. How is QED confinement related to quantum chromodynamics (QCD)?

QED confinement and QCD are both theories that describe the strong interaction between particles. QED confinement specifically deals with the confinement of charged particles, while QCD deals with the confinement of quarks. These theories work together to explain the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.