How long is a piece of sinosoidal string?

• Thread starter benjyk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, The conversation discusses the challenge of calculating the arc length of a sine wave using integration techniques. The person mentions using the formula s=\int_{}^{}\sqrt[]{1 + {(\frac{dy}{dx})}^{2}}dx and how it simplifies for y=sinx. They also mention Mathematica's function EllipticE, which gives an answer of 4\sqrt{2}\mathtt{EllipticE}(1/2) \approx 7.6404 when integrating from 0 to 2п. However, there is no known elementary answer for this integral and the person expresses disappointment in not being able to find a purely analytical solution.
benjyk
I am trying to calculate the arc length of a sine wave.

Using [tex]s=\int_{}^{}\sqrt[]{1 + {(\frac{dy}{dx})}^{2}}dx[/tex]

if y = sinx, dy/dx = cosx

So the integral simplyfies to [tex]s=\int_{}^{}\sqrt[]{1 + {cos}^{2}(x)}dx[/tex]

However I do not know any integration technique (ie. substitution, by parts, etc..) with which I can calculate this integral analytically.

If you can think of any other way of going about this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Benjy

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica calls this function EllipticE (performing the integral from 0 to 2п gives [itex]4\sqrt{2}\mathtt{EllipticE}(1/2) \approx 7.6404[/itex]), so I doubt there is a more elementary answer (like [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or [itex]\operatorname{arcsinh}(-1)[/itex]).

Right, there is no elementary answer

I have to admit I am a little disappointed. I thought there might be a way of performing the integral by pure analytical means.
But thank you very much for your responses.

1. What is a sinosoidal string?

A sinosoidal string is a type of string with a wave-like shape, often seen in musical instruments like guitars and violins. It is also known as a "sinusoidal string."

2. How is the length of a sinosoidal string measured?

The length of a sinosoidal string is typically measured from one end of the string to the other, following the curve of the wave. This measurement is known as the "arc length."

3. Is the length of a sinosoidal string constant?

No, the length of a sinosoidal string is not constant. As the string vibrates, the length of the string changes, resulting in different wavelengths and frequencies of sound.

4. How does the length of a sinosoidal string affect the sound it produces?

The length of a sinosoidal string directly affects the pitch of the sound it produces. The longer the string, the lower the pitch, and vice versa.

5. Can the length of a sinosoidal string be changed?

Yes, the length of a sinosoidal string can be changed by adjusting the tension on the string. By tightening or loosening the string, the length will change, resulting in a different pitch of sound.