Can Specializing in Physics Help Transition into Astrophysics PhD Programs?

• Thread starter rukshan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: Do you think that my lack of research experience in astrophysics might hinder my chances of getting selected for a PhD in this field?In summary, the individual is seeking help regarding their selection of major and subfields for their PhD in the US. They are interested in Astronomy/Astrophysics but have limited experience in that field. They are hoping for advice on the most popular/competitive fields for each university they are applying to and whether their lack of research experience in Astrophysics will affect their chances of being selected. The responder suggests researching the websites of the Physics/Astronomy departments and reaching out to the Admissions Committee for more specific inquiries.
rukshan
Dear friends,

I have several problems regarding selection of major field and subfields. I greatly appreciate your help by answering the following questions. (I have done Physics, Chemistry and Com. Science and specialized subject is Physics. I did my final year research in material science - Advanced ceramics).

1. What are the most popular/competitive fields and least popular fields ( for Astronomy/physics) in US universities for PhD (chances of getting selected)?

2. Astronomy/astrophysics is my dream, but no astronomy/astrophysics courses was offered in my college undergraduate level (I was able to do only special relativity - 300 level and got A+). Will there be still a chance to get selected to do astronomy/astrophysics in USA?

3. I got good grades (A's or A+'s) for nuclear and particle physics areas but lack of research knowledge (as I'm from a developing country) might be a problem. If I get selected to nuclear, particle or high energy physics , is there a chance to do astrophysics in PhD.?

These are the universities that I'm going to apply. Would you mind, please provide the most popular/competitive fields for each university (this will be a great help).

Georgia state university
Iowa state university
University of Kansas
Kansas State University
Univ Of Massachusetts At Amherst
University of Mississippi
Ohio State University
University of Houston
Wayne State University
Colorado State University
University of Missouri Columbia
Vanderbilt University
Brown University

Thank you very much. I hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me. I'm totally lost. Please...

Let me see whether I understand the question. You have finished up an undergraduate degree in physics/engineering in some country other than the U.S., and now wish to apply to graduate programs in the U.S? Preferably astrophysics but you'll settle for physics?

Others can address your questions better than I, but regarding this:

rukshan said:
These are the universities that I'm going to apply. Would you mind, please provide the most popular/competitive fields for each university (this will be a great help).

You should study the websites of the Physics/Astronomy departments at those universities. Look for "research interests", pages describing affiliated institutions. If you spot something which looks interesting (e.g. a chance to leverage a materials science background in astrophysics research), try to obtain arXiv eprints/papers by the faculty members involved and read them carefully. If you still think you might be able to contribute, write a letter to the Admissions Committee making a specific inquiry whether they might be looking for a new graduate student next year.

Chris Hillman said:
Let me see whether I understand the question. You have finished up an undergraduate degree in physics/engineering in some country other than the U.S., and now wish to apply to graduate programs in the U.S? Preferably astrophysics but you'll settle for physics?

Others can address your questions better than I, but regarding this:
You should study the websites of the Physics/Astronomy departments at those universities. Look for "research interests", pages describing affiliated institutions. If you spot something which looks interesting (e.g. a chance to leverage a materials science background in astrophysics research), try to obtain arXiv eprints/papers by the faculty members involved and read them carefully. If you still think you might be able to contribute, write a letter to the Admissions Committee making a specific inquiry whether they might be looking for a new graduate student next year.

Thank you very much friend. Your help is highly appreciated

Last edited:

What is a career problem?

A career problem refers to any issue or obstacle that an individual may face in their professional life, such as dissatisfaction with their current job, difficulty finding employment, or lack of career advancement opportunities.

What are some common causes of career problems?

There can be various reasons for career problems, including lack of skills or qualifications, poor job fit, limited job market, workplace conflicts, or personal issues such as burnout or financial difficulties.

How can I overcome a career problem?

The first step to overcoming a career problem is to identify the root cause. This could involve self-reflection, seeking feedback from others, or consulting a career counselor. Once you understand the problem, you can develop a plan of action, whether it's acquiring new skills, networking, or making a career change.

Should I seek professional help for my career problem?

If you are struggling to identify or solve your career problem, seeking professional help can be beneficial. Career counselors or coaches are trained to assist individuals in finding solutions to their career issues and can provide valuable insights and guidance.

How can I prevent future career problems?

To avoid future career problems, it's essential to continuously assess and develop your skills, stay up-to-date with industry trends, maintain a positive attitude, and actively work towards achieving your career goals. Building a strong network and seeking mentorship can also help in navigating potential career challenges.