How many revolutions does a washing machine tub make during a spin cycle?

In summary, the problem involves a washing machine's tub starting from rest and gaining angular speed for 8.00 seconds until it reaches 5.00 revolutions per second. The person doing laundry then opens the lid, causing the machine to smoothly slow down and come to a rest in 12.0 seconds. The total number of revolutions the tub makes while in motion can be found by calculating the area under a graph of time versus angular velocity using the equation for angular motion.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Washing Machine revolution

Homework Statement

A tub of a washing machine goes into it's spin cycle , starting from rest and gaining angular speed steadily for 8.00s, at which time it is turning at 5.00rev/s. At this point the person doing the laundry opens the lid and a safety switch turns off the machine. The tub smoothly slows to a rest in 12.0s. Through how many revolutions does the tub turn while it is in motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start but

I'm not sure...do they mean revolutions when the tub starts until the person opens the lid and all the way till the machine goes and slows to a stop?

Is this 2 part question which I add the revolutions in the end when the person opens the lid to the beginning when the washing machine starts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shoot - another misleading title. I thought the day had come that they would finally rise up and vanquish their oppressors...

DaveC426913 said:
Shoot - another misleading title. I thought the day had come that they would finally rise up and vanquish their oppressors...

:rofl: until then they shall be tethered to the wall with a water pipe.

If you draw a graph of time vs angular velocity, area under the graph gives you the total revolution from start to end.

The equation for angular motion is analogous to that for linear motion

[tex]x=x_0+vt+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

[tex]\phi=\phi_0+\omega t+\frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/tex]

Bill Foster said:
The equation for angular motion is analogous to that for linear motion

[tex]x=x_0+vt+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

[tex]\phi=\phi_0+\omega t+\frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/tex]

Yes I actually used that to solve this problem but I just didn't post a follow up on it since I think I get it.

Thanks.

1. What is the "Washing Machine revolution"?

The "Washing Machine revolution" refers to the widespread adoption and use of washing machines in households around the world. It is considered a major advancement in household technology and has greatly impacted the way people do laundry.

2. When did the "Washing Machine revolution" occur?

The "Washing Machine revolution" occurred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The first electric washing machine was invented in 1908, and by the 1920s, washing machines became more affordable and widely available to the general public.

3. What were the benefits of the "Washing Machine revolution"?

The "Washing Machine revolution" brought many benefits, including saving time and effort for individuals and families, improved hygiene and cleanliness, and the ability to wash larger and heavier loads of laundry.

4. How did the "Washing Machine revolution" impact society?

The "Washing Machine revolution" had a significant impact on society. It freed up time for individuals, especially women, to pursue other activities and careers. It also led to the rise of the consumer culture and the development of new industries such as the manufacture of washing machines and related accessories.

5. What role did the "Washing Machine revolution" play in the advancement of technology?

The "Washing Machine revolution" played a crucial role in the advancement of technology. It paved the way for further innovations in household appliances, such as dryers, dishwashers, and refrigerators. It also sparked the development of more efficient and eco-friendly washing machines, contributing to the overall improvement of technology in our daily lives.