Calculating Freezing and Boiling Points

In summary, to calculate the freezing point and boiling point of solutions, use the observed van't Hoff factors in Table 11.6. The formula is Change in T= imK, where i is the van't Hoff factor, m is the given concentration, and K is the freezing point depression or boiling point elevation. The values of K can be found in tables or online.
viper2308

Homework Statement

Calculate the freezing point and boiling point of each of the following solutions using the observed van't Hoff factors in Table 11.6.

(a) 0.070 m MgCl2
Temp Freezing?

Temp Boiling?

(b) 0.020 m FeCl3
Temp Freezing?

Temp Boiling?

Homework Equations

Change in T= imK
i=Van't Hoff factor
m=given
K=freezing point depression or boiling point elevation

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the change in temp is so I can't solve for K.
Tf MgCl2- Change in T= (3)(.07)K Don't know K or T

Physics news on Phys.org
∆Tb=New boiling point-Boiling point of pure solvent
∆Tf=Freezing point of pure solvent-New freezing point,
now knowing boiling/freezing point of the pure solvent, i, m and K(which will be given) you can find the new boiling/ freezing point.

K is a property of the solvent. It has a specific value for every solvent, and can be looked up in your textbook, or a handbook, or on the web.

See the tables on this page: http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Solutions/BP-Elev-and-FP-Lower.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the freezing point and boiling point of water?

The freezing point of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit, while the boiling point is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

What factors affect the freezing and boiling points of a substance?

The freezing and boiling points of a substance are affected by its molecular structure, intermolecular forces, and atmospheric pressure.

How do I calculate the freezing and boiling points of a solution?

The freezing point of a solution can be calculated using the equation: ΔT = Kf * m * i, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Kf is the molal freezing point depression constant, m is the molality of the solution, and i is the van't Hoff factor. The boiling point of a solution can be calculated using the equation: ΔT = Kb * m * i, where Kb is the molal boiling point elevation constant.

Why do some substances have higher or lower freezing and boiling points than others?

The freezing and boiling points of substances depend on the strength of their intermolecular forces. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher freezing and boiling points compared to substances with weaker forces.

How does adding a solute to a solvent affect its freezing and boiling points?

Adding a solute to a solvent disrupts the solvent's intermolecular forces, causing its freezing point to decrease and its boiling point to increase. This is known as freezing point depression and boiling point elevation, respectively.