Calculus I - without a calculator

In summary, calculators are not generally allowed in calculus classes, but it's ok to use them if you're accurate.
stevie2112
I'm taking Calculus I in the spring and the instructor sent out out an email outlining the course. He stated that he did not allow calculators on the final. Is this common? I did well in my precalc maths, but I like to be able to check my answers with a calculator - especially during a test. I have seen comments that you don't need a calculator for calculus.

Thanks,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Real math isn't done with a calculator. It's not about crunching numbers; it's about applying concepts.

No-calculator tests are actually to your advantage, for two reasons:

1. The problems should be simple to work out by just applying the concepts. No laborious long division or any such distractions, and

2. The problems will likely be designed such that the answers come out to nice, simple formulas (note that the idea of "simple" varies, of course). Therefore, you know that you're doing something wrong if your answer starts to get too complicated.

This is extremely common and I believe for the best as Ben Niehoff has noted.
Boo calculators!

I suspect the reason is the number of graphical calculators that can do symbolic integration - you rarely need to quote a decimal answer in a calculus class.

I like never use a calculator!

Likes Casares90
I still have my old HP-49G, but I don't remember how it works. :P

My calculator is made entirely of deceased trees!* If I need to crunch numbers I fire up Excel or Maple.

* In various states of processing and decay.

i never allow them. they are quite harmful to learning actually. most of my current calc 2 students were totally unable to find a simple plane area on my final due to not being able to even graph the region. i suspect they had been allowed to use graphing calculators on exams in high school.

nothing wrong with a calculator after you understand the material but when learning it, it is a large hindrance.

Calculators don't have their place in Calculus or Analysis.

well i used mine to calculate e to 9 or 10 places, from about 14 terms of the taylor series. i have a $10 "scientific" calculator, with all the bells and whistles i ever use.

then i noticed that euler listed about 100 places of pi done presumably by hand, (but he was off in about the 80th digit, unless his book has a typo).

1. What is Calculus I?

Calculus I is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is typically divided into two main areas: differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus focuses on the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over an interval.

2. Why is it important to learn Calculus I without a calculator?

Learning Calculus I without a calculator allows you to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved. It also enables you to apply these concepts in real-world situations where a calculator may not be available. Moreover, learning to solve problems without a calculator can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What topics are typically covered in Calculus I?

The topics covered in Calculus I include limits, continuity, derivatives, and applications of derivatives. You will also learn about rates of change, optimization, and related rates.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in algebra to learn Calculus I without a calculator?

While a strong background in algebra can certainly be helpful, it is not a prerequisite for learning Calculus I. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of algebraic concepts such as functions, equations, and graphing.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in Calculus I without a calculator?

There are several ways to practice and improve your skills in Calculus I without a calculator. These include working through practice problems and exercises, attending lectures and tutorials, and seeking help from a tutor or classmate. You can also use online resources and textbooks to supplement your learning.