Hieght of a volume in a cylinder on its side, with known volume.

In summary, the poster is seeking help with a cylindrical problem involving finding the height of liquid given the volume, length, and radius. They have attempted to use a formula provided to them, but have not been successful in solving for h. They are wondering if there is another approach that solves for h directly through calculus.
GeorgeWBush
This is my first post and is for an applied project (not for a class) but I thought this was the best place to ask for help.

Homework Statement

Given a cylindar on its side, with volume V, length L, and Radius R, what is height (h) of liquid. I have fomula for volume as a function of radius, length, and height, but when I try to solve for h, things get difficult.

Homework Equations

CylindricalSegment_1002.gif

and
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/CylindricalSegment/equation2.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1) divide both sides by L
2) square both sides
3) expand polynomials
4) get stuck, post this message

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you come up with that formula or was it provided and you have to solve for h?

[tex]\cos^{-1}(\frac{R-h}{R})=\frac{\mbox{adjacent}}{\mbox{hypotenuse}}[/tex]

Last edited:
It was provided for me and I'm trying to solve for h. It is possible that there is a different approach to the problem that solves for h directly (via caluclus) but I have not found it.

1. What is the formula for calculating the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side?

The formula for calculating the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side is h = V/(πr^2), where h is the height, V is the known volume, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. Can the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side be negative?

No, the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side cannot be negative. It represents the distance from the base to the top of the cylinder and must be a positive value.

3. How do I convert the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side from centimeters to inches?

To convert the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side from centimeters to inches, you can use the conversion factor 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters. Simply multiply the height in centimeters by 0.394 to get the equivalent height in inches.

4. What is the relationship between the height and volume of a cylinder on its side?

The height and volume of a cylinder on its side are directly proportional. This means that as the height increases, the volume also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula V = πr^2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the height of a volume in cylinders of different shapes?

No, the formula for calculating the height of a volume in a cylinder on its side is specific to cylinders with circular bases. For cylinders with different shapes, such as rectangular or triangular bases, a different formula would need to be used.