Can I Control Multiple Webcams Simultaneously with One Software Program?

In summary, it is possible to control multiple webcams simultaneously with one software program. This feature is commonly available in video conferencing and surveillance software, allowing users to switch between different cameras and view multiple feeds at once. Some programs also offer the ability to record footage from multiple webcams at the same time. However, the compatibility and limitations of such software may vary, so it is important to research and choose the right program for your specific needs.
dmehling
I am wanting to see if there is a software program available that will allow me to control two USB-based web cams at the same time from a single computer.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does no one have any familiarity with this kind of thing?

Control in what way?
You want to view them simultaneously?

I am wanting to take still images from the cameras that are saved in one specific folder.

In XP, I use http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
With scripting, I can execute a capture (with my choice of filename)... then do what I want with the images (using ImageMagick). Alternatively, you can try a TWAIN approach http://twainmodule.sourceforge.net/ .

For each, you'll probably need to read the documentation on how to access the numerous webcams.

A google search will for multiple webcams will probably turn up surveillance software... like the shareware http://www.supervisioncam.com/ . You'll have to dig a little deeper to find freeware... or else write your own with (say) tools like the above.

What, exactly, are you doing with two webcams?;) These aren't being broadcast over the net. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

One project I was playing with was using two webcams to produce red-green stereoimages in near real-time... to get a crude 3D webcam. A related use is to try to determine locations from two webcam images...for experimenting with machine vision.

I'm not sure if either is what the OP is doing with two webcams.

1. How can I control multiple web cams on my computer?

There are a few different ways to control multiple web cams on your computer. One option is to use a video conferencing software that allows you to switch between multiple web cams. Another option is to use a multi-camera control software specifically designed for managing multiple web cams at once.

2. Is it possible to control web cams remotely?

Yes, it is possible to control web cams remotely. Some web cams have built-in remote control capabilities, while others can be controlled through a remote access software such as TeamViewer or VNC.

3. How many web cams can I control at once?

The number of web cams you can control at once depends on the capabilities of your computer and the software you are using. Some software may have a limit on the number of web cams it can handle, while others may be able to control an unlimited number of web cams.

4. Can I control web cams from different brands or models?

Yes, as long as the software you are using supports multiple web cams and the web cams are compatible with your computer, you can control web cams from different brands or models at the same time.

5. Is it difficult to set up and control multiple web cams?

It can be more complex to set up and control multiple web cams compared to just one. However, with the right software and instructions, it can be relatively straightforward. It may require a bit of technical knowledge and troubleshooting, but once set up, controlling multiple web cams should be fairly simple.