Calculating Acceleration and Forces in Rotating Rod with Fixed Hinge

In summary: Can you clarify which you are looking at in this particular example?In summary, the rod experiences a torque of 14.7 N and its center of mass experiences an acceleration of 6.3 m/s2.
yoran

Homework Statement

A thin rod of mass 0.630kg and length 1.24m is at rest, hanging vertically from a strong fixed hinge at its top end. Suddenly a horizontal impulsive force (14.7î)N is applied to it. Suppose the force acts at the bottom end of the rod. Find the acceleration of its center of mass and the horizontal force the hinge exerts.

Homework Equations

Rotation of a rigid object.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration of its center of mass without problems. First I computed the torque done by the external force.
[tex]\sum{\tau}=FL[/tex]
with L the length of the rod and F the magnitude of the external force.
Because it's a rod that is rotated about one end, the moment of inertia is given by
[tex]I=\frac{1}{3}ML^2[/tex]
with M the mass of the rod.
We can use that the net torque applied to a rigid object is proportional to the angular acceleration.
[tex]\sum{\tau}=I\alpha \\
\Leftrightarrow FL=\frac{1}{3}ML^2\alpha \\
\Leftrightarrow \alpha = \frac{3F}{ML}[/tex]
Furthemore, the acceleration of the center of mass is given by
[tex]a_{CM}=\frac{L}{2}\alpha=\frac{3F}{2M}[/tex]
I have problems with finding the horizontal forces that act on the hinge. I know that in the vertical direction it has a force exerted on it directed upwards and equal in magnitude to the gravitational force exerted by the rod. Otherwise, it wouldn't be in equilibrium. Is that correct? Now, how do I find the horizontal force it exerts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You found the acceleration of the center of mass. What does that tell you about the net horizontal force on the rod?

Well, because
[tex]\sum{F}=Ma_{cm}[/tex]
then the force on the rod is
[tex]Ma_{cm}=\frac{3}{2}F[/tex]
Is that also the horizontal force on the hinge then?

No, that's the net force at that instant. You know the applied force, so figure out what the hinge force must be.

Hmmm, I think I get it. The net force on the center of mass is
[tex]\sum{F}=F+H[/tex]
with H the hinge force.
Also according to Newton's second law,
[tex]\sum{F}=Ma_{cm}[/tex]
so
[tex]F+H=Ma_{cm} \\
\Leftrightarrow H=Ma_{cm}-F \\
\Leftrightarrow H=\frac{1}{2}F[/tex]
Is that the correct answer?

Looks good to me!

Ok thank you for your time. I find it a bit confusing that sometimes you look at the rod as a rigid object rotating about the hinge, and sometimes you look at it as a point-particle.

What is a rotating rod around a pivot?

A rotating rod around a pivot is a simple machine that consists of a rod or lever attached to a fixed point, called a pivot, which allows the rod to rotate around it.

What is the purpose of a rotating rod around a pivot?

The purpose of a rotating rod around a pivot is to amplify the force applied to one end of the rod, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

How does a rotating rod around a pivot work?

A rotating rod around a pivot works on the principle of leverage. When a force is applied to one end of the rod, it creates a torque that rotates the rod around the pivot, allowing the object on the other end of the rod to be lifted or moved.

What are the different types of rotating rods around a pivot?

There are two main types of rotating rods around a pivot: a seesaw or teeter-totter, which has a single pivot in the middle, and a crowbar, which has a pivot at one end and the object to be lifted at the other end.

What factors affect the efficiency of a rotating rod around a pivot?

The efficiency of a rotating rod around a pivot is affected by several factors, including the length of the rod, the distance between the pivot and the object, and the force applied to the rod. In general, a longer rod and a shorter distance between the pivot and the object will result in greater efficiency.