What is the rate of energy for a damped oscillator?

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with proving the rate of energy for a damped oscillator. The correct formula for the rate of energy is dE/dt = -bv^2, where b is the dampening coefficient. The student was initially using the incorrect derivative of (1/2)mv^2 and (1/2)kx^2, but with guidance, was able to correct their mistake and see the straightforward solution.
jlew
[SOLVED] Energy of a damped oscillator

Homework Statement

I simply need to show that the rate of energy for a damped oscillator is given by:

dE / dT = -bv^2, where b is the dampening coefficient

Homework Equations

I am instructed to differentiate the formula:

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex] (1)

and use the formula: -kx - b dx/dt = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentitiate

E = 1/2 mv[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1/2 kx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

to get dE/dT = m d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] + k dx/dt

the only thing I can see to do here is sub in the above formula (2), to get

dE / dt = -kx - b dx/dt + k dx/dt

or

dT / dt = -kx - bv + kvI must be missing something here, or maybe I made a mistake somewhere, but this question has been bugging me since yesterday. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks alot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got dE/dt completely wrong. The derivative of (1/2)mv^2 is mv*dv/dt. Do you see why? What's the derivative of (1/2)kx^2? Also what you are trying to prove should be dE/dt=-bv^2.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply Dick. You're right, I corrected the typo above.

If I use mv*dv/dt as the derivative of (1/2)mv^2, and kx*dx/dt as the deriviative of (1/2)kx^2, the solution is very straight forward. I suppose I need to go back in my textbook and see how you derived that.

Thanks a lot for your help, I can already tell that this forum is going to be a huge resource for me for the next few years.

Cheers!

1. What is the energy of a damped oscillator?

The energy of a damped oscillator refers to the amount of energy a system has while undergoing damped oscillations. It is a combination of kinetic and potential energy that is lost due to damping.

2. How is the energy of a damped oscillator calculated?

The energy of a damped oscillator can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kA^2e^-γt, where k is the spring constant, A is the amplitude, and γ is the damping coefficient.

3. What factors affect the energy of a damped oscillator?

The energy of a damped oscillator is affected by the initial amplitude, the damping coefficient, and the frequency of the oscillations. A higher damping coefficient or lower initial amplitude will result in lower energy.

4. How does the energy of a damped oscillator change over time?

The energy of a damped oscillator decreases over time due to the loss of energy through damping. As the amplitude decreases, the energy will also decrease until the system reaches equilibrium and the energy remains constant.

5. Can the energy of a damped oscillator be conserved?

No, the energy of a damped oscillator cannot be conserved due to the loss of energy through damping. However, in the absence of external forces, the total energy (kinetic + potential) will remain constant.