Guidance on completing an Engineering Degree as mature student

In summary, the speaker is a Protection & Control Techologist at a major Power Utility in Ontario, Canada. They perform daily maintenance and commissioning of power equipment and have a three-year community college degree. They had originally wanted to become an engineer, but lost motivation and settled for a technology program. They are now looking for guidance on how to further their knowledge in Protective Relaying and Power System Engineering. Some ideas they have are self-taught programs, web-based courses, completing their degree while working, or taking protective relay courses/conferences. They are specifically interested in expanding their knowledge in Generator Protection for large synchronous generators. They ask for help from any fellow techologists, technicians, engineers, masters of engineering, or PhD engineers and are
PnCTech
I am a Protection & Control Techologist at a major Power Utility in Ontario, Canada. As my title implys, I am not an engineer but instead an Electrical Techologist (three year Community College Program in Ontario, Canada). I perform daily maintenance and commissioning of new and existing Power Equipment Protection and Control. It was always my goal to become an Engineer but in my senior year of high school I lost my motivation and settled with a technology program instead (not sure what Technologists are referred as in the US, maybe associate degree). However I do wish to still complete my engineering degree or at least further my knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline as well as other Power System Engineering Topics. Are there any Fellow Techologists/Technicians, Engineers, Masters of Engineering or PhD Engineers out there that may be able to provide guideance on how to accomplish this goal. A few ideas I have so far are: perform a type of self-taught engineering program via MIT OCW, take a web based engineering program or Protective Relaying Program, take a few years of work and complete my degree, or take Manufacturer/University taught protective relay courses/conferences. One area of protective relaying I would definitely wish to expand my knowledge in is Generator Protection specifically for a 900MW+ size synchronous generator. Well, I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my posting. Hopefully you will be able to assist myself in completing my career goals. Feel free to add any questions you may have to the post. I may also be able to help you complete your own career goals. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PnCTech said:
I am a Protection & Control Techologist at a major Power Utility in Ontario, Canada. As my title implys, I am not an engineer but instead an Electrical Techologist (three year Community College Program in Ontario, Canada). I perform daily maintenance and commissioning of new and existing Power Equipment Protection and Control. It was always my goal to become an Engineer but in my senior year of high school I lost my motivation and settled with a technology program instead (not sure what Technologists are referred as in the US, maybe associate degree). However I do wish to still complete my engineering degree or at least further my knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline as well as other Power System Engineering Topics. Are there any Fellow Techologists/Technicians, Engineers, Masters of Engineering or PhD Engineers out there that may be able to provide guideance on how to accomplish this goal. A few ideas I have so far are: perform a type of self-taught engineering program via MIT OCW, take a web based engineering program or Protective Relaying Program, take a few years of work and complete my degree, or take Manufacturer/University taught protective relay courses/conferences. One area of protective relaying I would definitely wish to expand my knowledge in is Generator Protection specifically for a 900MW+ size synchronous generator. Well, I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my posting. Hopefully you will be able to assist myself in completing my career goals. Feel free to add any questions you may have to the post. I may also be able to help you complete your own career goals. Thanks.

Have you looked into Distance Education programs? A lot of Universities offer these types of programs for people in your situation.

CS

You're probably not going to find any university offering an education so specific that it addresses "Generator Protection specifically for a 900MW+ size synchronous generator" or "Protective Relaying." Those sound more like topics that your employer should teach you while on the job.

You should speak to your HR representative at your company. I've never heard of a technical employer yet that doesn't actively encourage employees to obtain additional education. They can probably tell you about tuition reimbursement programs and university partnerships they already have established.

- Warren

What is considered a "mature" student in the context of engineering?

A mature student in engineering is typically someone who is over the age of 25 and has decided to pursue a degree in engineering after being out of formal education for some time.

What are the benefits of completing an engineering degree as a mature student?

There are several benefits to completing an engineering degree as a mature student. These include having a broader perspective and life experience, being more focused and motivated, and having the ability to balance work and studies more effectively.

What challenges might mature students face when completing an engineering degree?

Mature students may face challenges such as adjusting to a new learning environment, balancing family and work responsibilities, and feeling out of touch with academic material. However, with proper planning and support, these challenges can be overcome.

How can I prepare for an engineering degree as a mature student?

To prepare for an engineering degree as a mature student, it is important to research the program and its requirements, brush up on math and science skills, and develop effective time management and study skills. It can also be helpful to reach out to current or former mature students for advice and support.

Are there any resources available specifically for mature students pursuing an engineering degree?

Yes, many universities offer support and resources for mature students, such as academic advising, study groups, and networking opportunities. There may also be scholarships or financial aid specifically for mature students. It is important to check with the university or engineering department for available resources.