Symbols on Div/Curl Question

• Thread starter TFM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the problem asks to determine the divergence and curl of two vector fields, \vec{E_1} = (\hat{x} - \hat{z})cos(3(x - z)) and \vec{E_2} = (\hat{x} + \hat{z})sin(3y). The unit vectors, represented by the hat symbol, are just used to indicate the direction of the vector. The solution involves finding the derivatives of these vector fields, and the final answer is that the curl of both fields is equal to 0, while the divergence of \vec{E_1} is -sin(3(3x - 3z)) and the divergence of \vec{E_2}
TFM

Homework Statement

Determine Div E and Curl E for each of the following vector fields:

[tex]\vec{E} = (\hat{x} - \hat{z})cos(3(x - z))[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E} = (\hat{x} + \hat{z})sin(3y) [/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the div and curl, but I am uncertain what the hat x and y are representing. They normally mean vectors, but I haven't seen them put togther like that? if there was just one letter in hat, I would know that it is, for examle, [tex]\hat{x}sin(x)[/tex] the div would be cos(x), but I confused by the two hats together. Any ideas?

TFM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you write it this way instead?
[tex]
\vec{E} = \hat{x} cos(3(x - z))- \hat{z} cos(3(x - z))
[/tex]
Is it still confusing? The hats are just the unit vectors.

Dick said:
Suppose you write it this way instead?
[tex]
\vec{E} = \hat{x} cos(3(x - z))- \hat{z} cos(3(x - z))
[/tex]
Is it still confusing? The hats are just the unit vectors.

Now that makes sense - I knew that they were unit vectors, but I wasn't sure what it meant when they were grouped together like that.

TFM

Just checking my answers...

is the curl of E = 0

and the div E

-sin(3(3x - 3z)) - sin(3()3x - 3z)

TFM

1. What are the symbols used for div and curl?

The symbol for divergence (div) is ∇ · and the symbol for curl is ∇ ×.

2. How are the symbols for div and curl pronounced?

The symbol for divergence is pronounced as "del dot" and the symbol for curl is pronounced as "del cross."

3. What do the symbols for div and curl represent?

The symbol for divergence (∇ ·) represents the amount and direction of flow of a vector field at a point, while the symbol for curl (∇ ×) represents the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a point.

4. What is the difference between div and curl?

The main difference between div and curl is that div is a scalar quantity, while curl is a vector quantity. Div represents the expansion or contraction of a vector field, while curl represents the rotation or twisting of a vector field.

5. How are div and curl used in physics and engineering?

In physics, div and curl are used to describe the behavior of vector fields, which can represent physical quantities such as velocity, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow. In engineering, div and curl are used in various applications such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.