Zeta function in the critical strip

In summary, the Riemann zeta function can be calculated using various representations such as the series and functional equation. However, these methods only work for values with real part greater than 1 or less than 0. To calculate values in the critical strip, one can use the Dirichlet eta function relation or the Euler product. Additionally, the zeta function can be expressed as an integral using the gamma function, but this method requires some knowledge of complex analysis.
TheOogy
how do i calculate values of the riemann zeta function in the critical strip? because if you only know zeta as a series:

[tex]
\zeta(s) = \sum 1/n^s
[/tex]

and the functional equation

[tex]
\zeta(s) = 2^s\pi^{s-1}\sin\left(\frac{\pi s}{2}\right)\Gamma(1-s)\zeta(1-s) \!
[/tex]

you can only calculate values that have real part bigger then 1 or smaller then 0.
i know i can use a math software to calculate it but i want to understand the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!,
there are many other representations (wikipedia or www.mathworld.com) but maybe non of them will be enough helpfull.

Use the dirichlet eta function relation.

can we express the eta function as a product of primes?

in 0< re s <1 ?

yes.

or, is there a way to calculate values in the critical strip without using an alternating series?

Well, you can use the relation to zeta and use its euler product. But I'm not sure as far as the convergence goes.

edit1: And yes, you can (amongst other ways) express [tex]\eta(s)\Gamma(s)[/tex] as an integral,

[tex]\eta(s)\Gamma(s)=\int_0^\infty \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^x+1}\mathrm{d}x[/tex], valid for re s > 0.

and then use the zeta relation again.

You could also use the [tex]\zeta(s)\Gamma(s)[/tex] integral form, and deform the contour as riemann originally did.

Last edited:
i tried using the euler product but it didn't work, but thanks for the eta-gamma integral, can you show me the zeta-gamma integral two and save me the search?

Just go to almost any gamma or zeta function online encyclopedia site for more info, but beware the original form only works for re s > 1 (the eta form works for re s>0), if you are not somewhat familiar with complex analysis you won't get much of it.

The eta gamma + relation gives,

[tex]\zeta(s) = \frac{1}{(1-2^{1-s})\Gamma(s)}\int_0^\infty \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^x+1}\mathrm{d}x[/tex], edit([tex]\Re s > 0, s \not= 1[/tex])

Thanks!

1. What is the Zeta function in the critical strip?

The Zeta function in the critical strip is a mathematical function that was first introduced by Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. It is defined as the sum of the reciprocal of all positive integers raised to a complex number s, and is denoted by ζ(s). The critical strip refers to the region in the complex plane where the real part of s is between 0 and 1.

2. What is the significance of the critical strip in the Zeta function?

The critical strip is of great importance in the study of the Zeta function because it contains the non-trivial zeros of the function. These are the values of s for which the Zeta function is equal to 0, and their locations are closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. The Riemann Hypothesis, one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, states that all non-trivial zeros of the Zeta function lie on the critical strip.

3. How is the Zeta function used in number theory?

The Zeta function is used extensively in number theory, particularly in the study of prime numbers and their distribution. It has many connections to other important mathematical concepts, such as the Riemann Hypothesis, the Prime Number Theorem, and the Goldbach Conjecture. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, including physics and cryptography.

4. What are some properties of the Zeta function in the critical strip?

The Zeta function in the critical strip has several important properties, including the functional equation ζ(s) = ζ(1-s) which allows for symmetry about the line s = 1/2. It also has an infinite number of non-trivial zeros, which are symmetric about the line s = 1/2 and have a real part of 1/2. Other properties include the Euler product formula and the fact that it is an entire function, meaning it is defined for all complex numbers.

5. What are some applications of the Zeta function in the critical strip?

The Zeta function in the critical strip has a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in number theory to study the distribution of prime numbers and to solve other problems related to the behavior of integers. In physics, it is used in quantum field theory and statistical mechanics, and in engineering, it has applications in signal processing and coding theory. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and topology.