Electric Field Strength between Two Infinite Lines of Charge

In summary, the electric field strength E at a height y above the midpoint between two infinite lines of charge with linear charge density \lambda is given by \frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{y2\lambda}{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}} j where d is the distance between the lines. This is found by using superposition and adding the electric field contributions from each line charge.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

27.P36.jpg

The figure is a cross section of two infinite lines of charge that extend out of the page. Both have linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Find an expression for the electric field strength E at the heigth y above the midpoint between the lines.

Homework Equations

Well E = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{r}[/tex] for an infinite line of charge.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure what this question is asking. I think I have to integrate that formula to get an expression at y but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to integrate--use superposition. Use that formula to find the electric field from each line charge at the point in question. (What would "r" be? What's the direction of each field contribution?) Then just add the two vectors to find the total field at that point.

I placed the fields like this.
vyukn4.jpg

I said:

r = [tex]\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}[/tex]

E1 = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

E2 = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

ENET = E1 + E2

Looks good, but you're not done.
KillerZ said:
ENET = E1 + E2
Actually find the resultant (in terms of the given variables).

Like this?

ENET = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}} + \frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\right][/tex]

KillerZ said:
Like this?
No. You must add them like vectors. (Find the x and y components.)

Ok, I think I got it.

(E1)x = (E1)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
(E2)x = (E2)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

(E1)y = (E1)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
(E2)y = (E2)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

(E1)x = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E2)x = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E1)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E2)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

then add the x components and the y components:

ENET = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}} + \frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\right][/tex] i , [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}} + \frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\right][/tex] j

KillerZ said:
Ok, I think I got it.

(E1)x = (E1)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Careful with the signs of these components. (You should be able to look at the diagram and immediately have an idea of which way the total field will point.)

Correct the signs as needed and redo. Be sure to simplify your final answer as much as possible.

Ok, I think I finally have it. I fixed the signs.

(E1)x = -(E1)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

(E1)x = -[tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E2)x = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\frac{d}{2}}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E1)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

(E2)y = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex][tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}[/tex]

then add the x components and the y components:

the x components cancel as they are equal but opposite.

ENET = [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}} + \frac{2\lambda}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}}\right][/tex] j

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{y2\lambda}{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}} + \frac{y2\lambda}{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}\right][/tex] j

= [tex]\frac{1}{4\Pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex][tex]\left[\frac{y4\lambda}{y^{2} + (\frac{d}{2})^{2}}\right][/tex] j

Looks good! (Cancel those 4s. :wink:)

1. What is an infinite line of charge?

An infinite line of charge is a theoretical concept in electromagnetism where an infinite number of point charges are arranged in a straight line with equal spacing between them. This line is considered to have an infinite length and no end points.

2. How is the electric field calculated for an infinite line of charge?

The electric field for an infinite line of charge is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point to the charge.

3. What is the behavior of the electric field around an infinite line of charge?

The electric field around an infinite line of charge is radial and has a magnitude that decreases as the distance from the line increases. This means that the electric field is strongest near the line and becomes weaker as you move further away from it.

4. Can an infinite line of charge exist in the real world?

No, an infinite line of charge is a theoretical concept and does not exist in the real world. It is used as a simplification in mathematical models to make calculations easier.

5. How is the electric potential calculated for an infinite line of charge?

The electric potential for an infinite line of charge is calculated using the formula V = kλ ln(r), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the line. This formula assumes that the potential at infinity is zero.