Does anyone have experience with international edition text books?

In summary, international editions of books are usually the same as the regular versions, but the quality of the paper is lower. Additionally, there have been no reports of printing mistakes or anything that would make the books unusable. Overall, international editions are a good bargain, but be careful.
Geekchick
I was thinking about buying some text for my own enlightenment but I cannot afford even most of the used text. However, I have been seeing plenty of international editions really cheap. What I want to know is has anyone had good experiences with international editions? i.e. they aren't lacking any material or the like.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
International editions are usually the same as the regular versions. I bought the international version of Rudin's 'Real and Complex Analysis' for $20. At the local bookstore, the regular version goes for $180. The versions are exactly the same.

thanks that's one of the text I'm looking for!

Same here. I bought an international edition of Griffith's Electrodynamics for $20 ($80-$100 on Amazon) and it's perfectly fine.

No one has said anything about the quality of paper and printing.

I live outside US and all my books are International editions. They are just as good as the original versions and are much cheaper.

However, quality of the paper is a little lower. For example, when I was drinking water, a drop accidentally fell on my Calculus volume I [Apostol]. Even now if you turn to that page, that spot looks a little funny. It was only a drop luckily. Such things wouldn't have happened on the original versions I suppose.

Not many printing mistakes (in fact no mistakes in my Apostol and Griffiths). Just one or two in my Boas like bracket missing on one side or the d is missing in the differential sign. You'd be able to make out d/' 'x (y) is supposed to be d/dx(y) so its not much to worry about.

The 'good' points outweigh the 'bad' so I'd recommend buying these books.

One of my students bought an international version of Griffiths's E&M book, and it fell apart after a few weeks.

I bought international editions of Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis ("Baby Rudin"), Artin's Algebra, and Munkres' Topology. The savings were huge, all were the most recent editions, and the content and pagination were identical to the U.S. versions. But Munkres was printed on something closer to toilet paper than what you usually find in books (Artin and Rudin were ok quality paperbacks), and it's also illegal for people living outside some Asian countries to buy Munkres. Not sure about the legality of Artin or Rudin, but I expect a lot of these books can't legally be bought by people living in any of the developed countries. I think they're great bargains, even if printed on really cheap paper, and you're more likely to be hit by a meteor than be prosecuted for buying a black market science book. But maybe you're more moral than me...

I have bought: Boas: Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences, Marion & Thornton: Classical Dynamics, Griffiths: Quantum Mechanics, Kleppner & Kolenkow: Introduction to Mechanics. I have used all of these in class except for K&K. I have found no difference in material coverage or problems given.
You still need to be careful. My friend was using a EE book that had the the problems out of order and in different units. It's just my luck that haven't had this problem; then again, they are pretty popular books so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

1. How are international edition textbooks different from regular textbooks?

International edition textbooks may have different covers, page numbers, and may contain alternative examples or exercises compared to regular textbooks. They are also typically printed on lower quality paper and are significantly cheaper.

2. Can I use international edition textbooks in my class?

It depends on your instructor or institution's policies. Some may allow the use of international edition textbooks, while others may require the use of specific editions. It's best to check with your instructor before purchasing an international edition textbook.

3. Are international edition textbooks legal?

Yes, international edition textbooks are legal. They are manufactured for distribution in other countries and may have different prices and content to cater to those markets. However, buying and selling international edition textbooks in the United States may be considered copyright infringement.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using international edition textbooks?

One potential disadvantage is that international edition textbooks may not include access codes or online resources that are often provided with regular textbooks. Additionally, they may not align with the specific curriculum or standards of your course or institution.

5. Where can I purchase international edition textbooks?

International edition textbooks can be purchased online from various international retailers or from third-party sellers. However, it's important to be cautious and ensure that you are buying from a reputable seller to avoid receiving counterfeit or low-quality versions of the textbook.