Material properties at elevated temperature

In summary, the conversation was about finding material properties, specifically fracture toughness and density of alloy, ceramics, glass (fused quartz), and gases at high temperatures. The person has tried searching in the CRC handbook and Google Scholar but has not found what they were looking for. Suggestions were made to check the ASM Handbook, NIST Database, and ACS (Am. Ceramics Soc.) for the desired information, and a specific source was provided for the fracture toughness of fused quartz. The conversation concluded with a question about finding material density at high temperatures, with a suggestion to use the ideal gas law or Van der Waals constants for more accurate values.
alex-book
Hi everyone, Please help me, I am almost dying for this project.
I am doing a project that is dealing with high temperature, and i would like to ask you guys, is there any way to get the material properties of alloy, ceramics, or glass(fused quartz) at high temperature?

i have tried to check the CRC handbook but yet, still doesn't really get what i wanted. and i have tried google scholar too, yet no luck...is it either me suck at finding stuff or these value are really hard to find or doesn't exist(this is so impossible!)

I am trying to get a fracture of toughness of fused quartz at 500 C, and other properties

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
In general, you could try the appropriate ASM Handbook or NIST Database.

http://products.asminternational.org/hbk/index.jsp
http://www.acers.org/cic/propertiesdb.asp

ACS (Am. Ceramics Soc.) may have something useful too.

For the fracture toughness of fused quartz, see: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119568051/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

WOW! thanks gokul! i ve been trying to find one but i cant!
appriciate it!

1 more question though, for material density (especiall gas) at high temperature? do you know where i could find those? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
At sufficiently high temperatures, the ideal gas law will give you a fair approximation of the density of a gas. If you're worried about the accuracy, you could perhaps look up the Van der Waals constants (in CRC) for the gas in question to get a more accurate value for the density.

1. What are the effects of temperature on material properties?

The effects of temperature on material properties can vary depending on the specific material. In general, as temperature increases, the material's strength and hardness decrease, while its ductility and toughness increase. However, this trend can differ for different types of materials, and some materials may even exhibit unexpected behavior at high temperatures.

2. How do material properties change at elevated temperatures?

At elevated temperatures, the atomic and molecular structure of materials begins to change, leading to changes in their physical and mechanical properties. For example, the increased thermal energy can cause atoms to vibrate more, leading to a decrease in strength and an increase in ductility. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect a material's electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as its corrosion resistance.

3. What is the significance of studying material properties at elevated temperatures?

Studying material properties at elevated temperatures is important for a variety of reasons. For one, it allows scientists and engineers to understand how materials will behave in high-temperature environments, such as in engines or industrial processes. This information is crucial for designing and selecting materials that can withstand these conditions, ensuring safety and efficiency. Additionally, studying material properties at elevated temperatures can also provide insights into fundamental material behaviors and aid in the development of new materials with improved properties.

4. How is the behavior of materials at elevated temperatures tested?

There are various methods for testing the behavior of materials at elevated temperatures, including tensile tests, compression tests, and creep tests. Tensile and compression tests involve subjecting a sample of the material to controlled levels of stress while measuring its deformation and failure. Creep tests, on the other hand, involve applying a constant load to a material over an extended period and measuring its time-dependent deformation. These tests can provide valuable data on a material's response to high temperatures.

5. Can materials withstand extreme temperatures?

Some materials have been designed to withstand extreme temperatures, while others may not be suitable for use in high-temperature environments. For example, materials like ceramics and some metals have excellent high-temperature properties and can withstand temperatures up to several thousand degrees. However, other materials, such as polymers, have lower heat resistance and may degrade or melt at high temperatures. It is essential to understand a material's properties at elevated temperatures to determine its suitability for specific applications.