Geometric Progression: Calculating the nth Partial Sum

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary: This should be easier to understand, as it keeps the order of the terms. Also, when you set n = 1, you get the correct answer of -x.
latentcorpse
what is the nth partial sum of

[itex]1-x+x^2-x^3+..[/itex]

i don't understand why i can't do this?

i have [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} ar^k=\frac{a(r^{n+1}-r)}{r-1}[/itex]

ok but then when i sub in i get messed up i get [itex]\frac{(-x)^{n+1}+x}{-(1+x)}[/itex] is there any way of simplifying this? also when i set n=1 i get that the sum is -x when it should be 1-x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to derive the nth partial sum of 1 + x + x^2 + ... ?

off the top of my head isn't it something like

[itex](1-x)(1+x+x^2+...+x^n)=1-x^{n+1} \Rightarrow 1+x+x^2+...+x^n=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/itex]

also, another thing I'm having trouble seeing is why [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] diverges.
my initial instinct was to use the copmarison test with [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/itex] as this diverges.

so if i can show [itex]\frac{1}{1+n} \geq \frac{1}{n}[/itex] then all is well but in fact [itex]\frac{1}{n} \geq \frac{1}{1+n}[/itex] e.g. set n=1 to see

what's going on here?

latentcorpse said:
off the top of my head isn't it something like

[itex](1-x)(1+x+x^2+...+x^n)=1-x^{n+1} \Rightarrow 1+x+x^2+...+x^n=\frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/itex]
How can you modify this so that it works for [itex]1 - x + x^2 - \cdots[/itex]

latentcorpse said:
also, another thing I'm having trouble seeing is why [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n+1}[/itex] diverges.
my initial instinct was to use the copmarison test with [itex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/itex] as this diverges.

so if i can show [itex]\frac{1}{1+n} \geq \frac{1}{n}[/itex] then all is well but in fact [itex]\frac{1}{n} \geq \frac{1}{1+n}[/itex] e.g. set n=1 to see

what's going on here?

There's no need for the Comparison Test. Just note that

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n + 1} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + \cdots = \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

would it have a numerator of [itex]1-(-1)^nx^{n+1}[/itex]?

I don't know this of the top of my head, but if you write up what you did to get that, I can look it over.

latentcorpse said:
would it have a numerator of [itex]1-(-1)^nx^{n+1}[/itex]?
WHAT would? You started talking about
[tex]\sum_{i= 0}^n (-x)^i[/itex]
and then changed to
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

Are you back to the first question again?

latentcorpse said:
what is the nth partial sum of

[itex]1-x+x^2-x^3+..[/itex]

i don't understand why i can't do this?

i have [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} ar^k=\frac{a(r^{n+1}-r)}{r-1}[/itex]

ok but then when i sub in i get messed up i get [itex]\frac{(-x)^{n+1}+x}{-(1+x)}[/itex] is there any way of simplifying this? also when i set n=1 i get that the sum is -x when it should be 1-x?

Looking at your equation right here, I notice one problem that would fix it rather quickly. When you tried to find the nth partial sum, you are took:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} (-x)^k[/itex]

The only problem with this is that when n = 1, you get -x just like you got. You accidentally dropped the first term when you switched to sum notation. Just change it to:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} (-x)^k[/itex]

This way, 1 is the first term. Your new equation is:

[itex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} a*r^k = \frac{a(r^{n + 1} - 1)}{r - 1}[/itex]

What is geometric progression?

Geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. This constant value is known as the common ratio.

What is the formula for calculating the nth term of a geometric progression?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric progression is an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

What is the sum of a geometric progression?

The sum of a geometric progression can be calculated using the formula Sn = a1 * (1 - rn) / (1 - r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric progression?

A finite geometric progression has a specific number of terms, while an infinite geometric progression continues infinitely. In a finite geometric progression, the value of the last term can be calculated, whereas in an infinite geometric progression, the value of the last term is undefined.

How is geometric progression used in real life?

Geometric progression can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and depreciation of assets. It is also used in geometric designs, architecture, and music.